SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visual components of websites authored in Flash, Director and many other New Media tools, such as LiveMotion, have become increasing spectacular. The element that seems to be being left behind is the audio accompaniment.

Loops, like frames, have had there time, but now it looks like users are expecting more.

Interactive audio with multiple sections and musical transitions can be effectively used online without bloating file sizes. By Caching and reusing parts of the audio file sizes can be reduced and audio dynamics can be controlled.

Timing and sequencing has been a major concern of advanced Flash developers since the beginning. It turns out that forcing the frame rate by using a Sync Audio track can greatly increase the Flash players ability to stay ontime.

We have written some tutorials to help developers build interactive audio into their sites. Take a look at them, hopefully they can be helpful to you.

http://www.doremedia.com/layers.html
    http://www.doremedia.com/chunks.html

Feel free to contact us with any questions or comments.

Ryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some darn good tutorials... very complete. I may give them a try

However, I have a general question... is it just me, or is audio in Flash annoying? I guess it's like the MIDI syndrome, not everyone wants to hear YOUR type of music. Furthermore, I'm usually listening to Winamp when I'm surfing the web, and the techno music (which is the genre that Flash authors seem to favor the most) clashes with my Britney Spears (just a joke... or is it). Anyone got any comments?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honging,

You are right on the money bud! Midi, techno boppy music is exactlt what is wrong with Flash Audio.

It is the repetitive nature of techno that lent itself to the whole "loop" thing in the first place.

Using the techniques described in the tutorials when have been able to move clear out of Techno land and into using real music, with real instruments. DoReMedia has put together a Library of tunes to be used with the layering and chunking techniques many of which feature live instrumentation and genres ranging from Blues and Jazz with live horns and upright bass to Rock and Alternative featuring tasty guitars and groovey licks.

Okay, I know enough plugging. Back ot he question at hand. I think audio can be an incredibly compelling portion to Flash presentation once the developer learns to surpass the basic loop and move into techniques that allow for a full soundtrack to be represented.

This is one of the many focuses of Macromedia's useability initiative to get developer to stop abusing the audio functionality in Flash.

Well thats my thoughts, but hey, I might be a little slanted in my views, who knows

Ryan

http://www.doremedia.com