SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently redesigned FinHeaven & Co (the old design is still up at http://www.finheaven.com/ ) , and I'm wondering if you guys can give me some input on the new design I'm working on: http://finheaven.com/NewDesign/index.shtml

I haven't completed all the pages, but the one section that is basically done is the "Seasonal", you can choose any of the pages there. Also, the poll does not work (I'm contacting my Web Host support for that). And the Article's that have "Click here to continue." links, don't have the new look. But remember, you can look in the Seasonal menu.

This design is much faster that the old one.

I want to hear it all, code problems, ideas for better look... whatever!

Thanks - http://finheaven.com/NewDesign/index.shtml
    Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI

Welcome,

Love the site. But then I am a believer in the content carrying things.

The accessability items need some work. With the implementation of html4, the alt= is a required attribute of img.

Did I mention it is a great job.

peace
    <Edited by edshuck on 01-06-2001 at 01:30 PM>

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the redesign a lot better than the previous one. The dark green really looks nice, especially in the drop-down menus.

I would change the bottom table colors "Archives, Message Board, NFL Web Ring" to the same dark green that you're using throughout the site. They stand out a bit too much when they're dark blue.

I figure you will be putting in photographs of the players/game details throughout the redesign. That would really liven up the site.

I would change the logo somewhat. I liked the dolphins you had on the old FinHeaven (one facing left, one facing right) It would really bring out the added effect of "FinHeaven" if you could incorporate one into the logo.

Just some suggestions. Overall the design looks really nice and I wish you the best of luck with it.
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for those two comments... any more?

Yes, there will be game photos and a lot of other things going on with the site. I just wanted a basic idea of what people thought of the design, colors, and etc.

Glad to hear about the old logo, I will see if I can put somethin together on that...

Thanks, and again, any more comments?

<Edited by WebMasterAJ on 01-07-2001 at 12:21 AM>
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be honest here, because what good is a review if I just told you what you wanted to hear?... I'm not saying the new one isn't any good, but that the old one was better. With some polishing the new one can surpass it, IMO.

I like many aspects of the original design better than the new one:

1) The thin TV lines behind the side bars really break up the large fields of solid colors.

2) I also liked the menacing dolphin logo, the new one doesn't have nearly the same impact.

3) The reversing out of the headlines on the new site gave your eye a big clue to where the new stories start. The new headlines are much easier to miss.

4) Obviously it needs some photos but I know how difficult it can be to get non-copyrighted sports images. If nothing else maybe you can get a media guide and scan in all of the headshots. That way whenever you mention a player you can pop up a headshot and that would help tremendously to break up the text blocks.

5) I do like the new menu system and the fact that you've simplified all of those links on the left.

6) If you use style sheets you can have all of the drop down boxes be the same width, it will look cleaner and work on both browsers if you specify:

<select name="name" width=100 style="width: 100px;">

7) Users expect to click on the logo at the top to take them home, but it is not clickable though you have a big text link below.. you might think about making it more standard

8) The story links should probably say "Read more.." instead of "click here to continue"

9) I think the importance of information is well layed out on both sites.. next game, game score, and division standings are all right at the top where they should be.

10) Overall the new boxed top layout bothers me as it is blocky for no reason. I took a screenshot into PS and colored in the background and it worked much better for me then. Try turning your background the same color as your tables and see if you like it at all.

Anyway, those are my first impressions.. I hope you take them kindly, you are of course free to ignore them and call me a twit!

OG
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    p.s. Poor fins, that was hardly worth watching yesterday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I'm gonna take that in and work on a few things...

I didn't know what the code was to make a width, I once posted it on these boards, but got no reply

Also, I'm gonna work on a new logo since two people already mentioned it.

Photos are going to be on the site! Everyone I talk to mentions that, and they will. I have the same problem as Overgrow mentioned about copy right, I'm going to contact a few sites to see if I can break a deal.

Overgrow - I tried what you mention in #10, and I didn't like that look...

Also - the Fins lost, yea... But the site will not!

Any more opinions? Thanks to the guys that already have, I'm going to post again when I make those changes...
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overgrow - #1 - do you mean on the right side where it has Standings, Site Poll, etc... the teal color border? You say that does, or doesn't look good? I thought throwing in that color would make those things stand out, so people would see it easier...

Your opinion is...

Again, any more comments?
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright -

* The drop down menus have a fixed width.
    * A new logo - is that one good?
    * I kinda put some round tops to it - what do you think?
    * It now says "Read More..."

Any more comments are appreciated...
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, but I have to agree with Overgrow on most of the issues he brought up.

I also have a suggestion of my own... along the top portion (very top), you have rounded the corners (of the teal-ish color). I suggest you try the same with the white text-containing area. It would finish the effect; I'm not a big fan of the sharp corneres and rounded corners on the same site.

Also, the text color is kind of light... perhaps a darker color? It hurts my eyes

Great job though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO I prefer the new redesign over the old design.
    great job so far although:

1.)"<...
    Read more..." could be changed to "Read more...>"
    i have no idea its just when it points to the left it makes me think of going back or something like that(see what microsoft did , it corrupted us with that back button heh).
    and you might want to align the read more text to the right side instead of the left, looks better or atleast i think so

2.)you might want to include the border="0" to every table because it seems the borders are showing up in opera(i looked at your source and I noticed you did have the border parameter......maybe your missing the quotations?heh

3.)the text in the drop down menu seems to all be bold, and kinda hurts my eye, and its just too powerful, tone it down..
    well thats all i can reccomend right now
    good job though, i love the layout.

my review specs: 17 inch monitor, rez of 1152 x 864, 32 bit true color, windows 98, 56k modem, opera 5.01
    Nebiyu E.
    Co-president & Website Developer
    Deoxic Studios - "The Evolution of Web Design"
    http://www.dadreamonline.com/deoxicstudios/
    nebiyu@dadreamonline.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nebiyu - I know this may be bad CGI coding, but the code is that after a certain amount of characters, it says "Read More" this article happened to land during a italics peice of code, thus <... shows. Notice how it doesn't show that with the rest of the articles?

Also, nebiyu - are you using the Non-Java enabled or Java enabled?

nebiyu again, (as you can see, I have a few questions) is there a way to make one selection bold in a drop down menu? Or is it bold, or no bold?

honging - I will see what I can whip up. I am not that great at rounded corners (making them that is). I am using Photoshop 5.5....

Thanks for all the opinions - any more?
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a dramatic improvement from the old to new, but it is less cluttered. On the re-design, there's something about the top part with the logo, etc. that doesn't look good to me. Maybe it's because it's all one color, maybe some white or something up there would lighten things. Good work!

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Way too green

2) I don't really like the side bar drop down menus and the rollover color on them

3) Get rid of the orange border line below where the banner goes.

4) On the right menu, instead of the lighter green on the "Newsletter" table etc, try white

5) The white middle table goes up a couple pixels higher then the right menu table.

It's much better then the old one, good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mkaufman - First, the green are the Dolphins colors, true fans love that color

#2 - How do you change the rollover color? I didn't know how, so its just using your systemsn default color. I posted this color once before, but got no reply.

Thanks for your review - any more out there?

Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yessss excellent... Now it is looking much better than the original.

1) Ignore the old #1 suggestion, I don't think it's appropriate with the new design anymore.

2) Since it is a fixed width table anyway, why not make your logo wider and give it all that room on the left.

3) With the message board posts on the bottom why not give the author and time as well.

4) Any chance you might go to CSS for your paragraph formatting? It makes the typographic spacing so much nicer... Things like adding just a few pix of space inbetween the headlines and the first line of text.. also there is too much space in between the paragraphs. The only way this can be properly done is with CSS and simple javascript browser detection so you can do a Netscape style sheet to correct for excess line spacing.

5) I like the colors and even the blue in the drop downs.. quite oceanic. When you have team colors you have no choice even if it's the most hideous 1970's teal green and orange. Oh wait Sitepoint uses the same orange

Good changes, let us know when you have another version!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are getting closer and closer...

Overgrow - you said that the Dolphins looked good, then you are asking me to make a larger logo... with those two ideas, I headed into Photoshop 5.5. And BAM.

Check it out: http://finheaven.com/NewDesign/

#3 - I am not a CGI expert, I will talk to my friend and see if we can throw something together.

Thanks for all the opinions Overgrow!

Are there any more reviewers out there?

Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

This is not a normal response but here goes.

Your best shot at immortality for the site is the chat room. Get a couple of friends who know the game as you do to help with it. Guide, don't control. Get the females involved in the room and keep them involved. Maybe even have a "girls chat hour" about an upcoming game.

What I am saying is if you do what everyone else does, the one with the deepest pockets wins.

So be different.

Hold a ticket contest. What is a ticket? 50 - 75 -100. How much publicity can you beat out of a single ticket, newspaper, radio, tv. Probably very little. How bout chatting up the barkeeps at a couple of the really hot sports bars? Get them to mention your site and the contest would be a really good way to do that. Then when the visits occur, have an ever changing panarama of sight and oh yes, can you add a few audio feeds?

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edshuck - I have a few things up my sleves - if you will.

I am hoping with this design I can bring in some extra cash, since there is more banner space. More money would go to having ticket raffles... bla bla...

About the audio feeds. I'm trying to hook up with the Official Dolphins radio to hopefully bring somethin in. I link up to them, but to have something in return would...

Trust me, I have my major competitior in sight, and he has a couple of things that my site doesn't, and it will be on my site soon.

Since the topic is brought up - if anyone here is a good coder, whatever code that may be, please email me at dolfan0417@mindspring.com .
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now you've got it... nice job on the logo.

A few minor tweaks:

You might cut a few pixels off of the bottoms of the corner curves so the top green bar isn't so tall.

Is that orange bar under the top ad just for spacing or is it for text? Throw a few typical banners and boxes in there so you can judge how much busier it gets.

OG

ps. ed must run some pretty successful sites judging by the advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a couple of shot ones...

1. the rounded corners makes a massive improvement, but now they kindoff clash into the square logo... rounded logo perhaps? not sure actually. what if you flip horizontally the dolphin at the top left corner? then it would go with the table with the results.

2. "site poll" & "SotW" i would align them to the left instead of centered.

3. i would also decrease buy a tiny bit the font on the right hand side (ie polls, sotw, etc). but this might be a bit drastic. personally i hate polls where to long questions become unreadible (ie slashdot.org)

massive improvemtent from the old site. good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright - I threw on some banners (click on some while you're there ) so you can see it "active"

The orange bar is there for two purposes. Text advertisements where needed and spacing. For the main page, its spacing. However, look at the schedule. I think you will see what I mean...

Alright, I cut some space from the bottom... and it does look better...

diacono - the poll usually isn't that long.

Nice to hear people think its better than the old design...

Any new comments?
    Andrew Tatum

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My computer:
    450 MHz Pentium 2
    Windows 98
    1024x768

I like this design better then your old one.

Not really much to say, the banner at the bottom looks a bit strange to me under the white main section, makes it look out of line to me at least and I think that the drop down menus should be centered in the left section.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, there really is nothing wrong with the design. I would maybe suggest only having a banner at the top instead of one at the top and one at the bottom but it still looks good that way.

Good luck with the site

http://www.graphixland.com - web master resources!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few gripes. From a usability standpoint, drop-down menus are a pain to use when navigating, especiall since first-time visitors such as myself don't know what all the options are. Also, green text is very difficult to read.

Other than that, the design is nice and crisp.
    Mike Pulsifer
    Editor in Chief
    FreeWeb Magazine