SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the uses of 'PHP include' 'SSI' or DW library items, for common site elements.

I'm currently using DW library items and am considering a switch to either of the above. However I'm just a little concerned this could slow my pages quite a bit. Currently my pages download extreamly fast, which I put down to the fact that the pages are simply single HTML pages, plus 'stacked tables' (for apparent speed). However, the problem with lib's is that when altered, every page they refer to have to be uploaded (which gets a pain).

I would like to know:

a) If there is any difference in speed between using SSI and PHP include.

b) How much does a single SSI/Include add to the total download time? - Are we talking say 0.5 secs for 1 call?

c) Does the use of say 2 SSI/Include = to the additional download time of 2x the additional download time of 1SSI/Include - ie. is it proportional.

I hope someone can put my mind at rest and advise of what would be the best option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ) I would say a PHP include is faster however i really don't know

B )
    The speed really depends on how big your include is. I used to had 3 includes, which i woud always see my copyright incluide first.

C )I would say it is proportional

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a) I'm pretty sure PHP is faster but there's not a lot in it.

b) If the include only has 1 line in it, then there won't really be any delays. Basically the delay is whatever the download time of the include is on its own. So it totally depends on the size of the file

c) If I understand you correctly, then 2 includes won't necessarily be double 1 include because it totally depends on the kb size of the include.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for the help

With regard to the answers for b):

I understand that the 'call speed' would relate to the kb of the file to include, but I would assume that that the overall 'download' time of the complete file is still relative. For example:

File A is 10kb and 'includes' a file of 5kb.
    File B is 5kb and 'includes' a file of 10kb.

Would not both of these files 'download' at exactly the same speed as the files are both put together prior to sending to the browser?

If I'm along the right lines, I would assume that:

if File C is 14kb and 'includes' 2 files of 0.5kb each, then it would download slower than both files A and B ?????

I'm thinking along the lines that the actual 'include' is just a process that takes a set period of time, irrespective of the size of the file to be included.

Am I along the right lines in this thinking? And if so could anyone give me a very rough idea of how long say having '10' SSI/Includes could add to a total download time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it would be slower, 2 calls, and you have to download the initial file first (14KB)