SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is possible, but I have a suggestion for a forum hack. The hack would be a special icon next to new/updated topics, but this would be another icon that shows when topics that you have posted/added to have been updated. Like, if someone replied to this topic, when browsing the forums, I would see, say, a blue icon or something.

Just a suggesstion.

Thanks,
    Wes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that many have checked out this thread in a little amount of time, so...what do you think? Would anyone want this feature? Is it possible?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is already signified in several ways.
    [list=1][*]In the Forum Display, all threads with new posts since your last visit have an orange envelope. If it has a gray icon, this means there were no new posts.[*]In the thread display, there is a little paper icon next to the time and date of the post. Orange again means it is a new post and gray means it is an old post since your last visit.[*]Clicking on the little blue down arrow next to the thread title will take you directly to the first unread post in that thread. [*]Clicking on the little blue right arrow next to the last posters name will take you to the last post made in the thread.[*]Finally all posts are marked as read after you have been here at the site for 30 minutes or more.[/list=1]

In version 2.0, this is enhanced somewhat. Using session cookies the new post indicator in forum display is changed after you read that thread. Which could make envelopes change more than once during your visit.

You can see what will be in version 2.0 when it is released by visiting http://beta.jelsoft.com/. However I must say that every feature might not be implemented here and some features will be restricted to Senior Members kind of as a reward.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne,
    I don't think that was what he was talking about. I think what he tried to say was that if you were browsing the forums and while you were visiting someone replied. If his idea of a hack were implimented, the post would stand out in some form.

Personally, I think the current system is just fine, and if what Wayne posted comes out, that would be even better.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBulletin 2 includes something like this - after you've posted in a thread its icon in the thread list changes. On the vB 2 Beta demo, the icon changes to have a dot in it, so go ahead and try it out.
    Although I'm still not quite sure what Wes means