SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm developing a site to help site owners who are bidding on terms at GoTo. The site isn't done, but it is partially functional, and I would appreciate your feedback to make sure I'm on the right track.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'm going for a clean, unmuddled look.

http://www.positionguardian.com

Thanks!
    You're paying too much to be listed at Goto.com!
    Keep your ranking and save money with Position Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Taking a look at the page.

I like the idea of the two colors and the way you have seperated the page. Due to the length of the front page, I would ask if there is a more brief means of introducing the company / service and then move to additional explanatory pages.

I would not consider this a strong suggestion unless other also reply with a similar response.

The code is very clean. There are the marginheight and marginwidth items in the body and those are left over by the editor used to generate the code. I have seen these often and have no knowledge of detrimental effect.

The one really solid suggestion that I would make is that just prior to going public, check for locations where accesskey=, alt= and longdesc= can be used for accessability.

Really nice page.

peace
    <Edited by edshuck on 01-08-2001 at 07:24 PM>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems a bit bare, maybe on the frontpage use anchors ? Is it possible to put sometype of navigation on this site? It seems that I don't know where I am going .. or where I came from.

I am not sure if I understand what the page does .. I might just be ignorant of the market your in. I like the orange and gray, they are a good complement.

:Peace

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ed:

Thanks! Actually, those margin tags aren't a remnant from the editor, I hand code everything in Notetab. I've got them there on purpose!

I appreciate your suggestion regarding the long explanation on the front. I really bounced that one around in my head for a long time and came to the conclusion that I want to "tell all" right up front and limit the number of clicks required. Since I've got just one lonesome graphic, I decided to put all the text on the front. I've also put the e-mail text field right at the top, so once someone has used the site once, they can go right in without even scrolling down.

Chuckie:

Thanks for the note. Once finished the site will have some more navigation, but not a lot more. Frankly, the folks who use the site on a regular basis won't be there to explore, they'll know exactly what they want and where it's located. The site really will only be a few "pages" because everything is generated on the fly using Cold Fusion.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Ok, marginheight and marginwidth. Why are they there? They are not attributes of the body tag.

Please share.

thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the simple and clean design, but I think the page is too long.

Maybe you could make the left part 30% and the right part 70%? Or put some of the text on other pages?
    And I think a more brief text describing what the site is all about would help.

Vidar
    Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea for the design is really cool in my opinion, but it would be cooler if there was something that could be filled in on the left section. I think the page is a bit too long at its current format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made more changes to the site, and it's just about to go "live" (probably before the 15th). Please take another look.

I've left the front page alone, because I'm really happy with putting all the information "up front". I've added navigation at the bottom and the report e-mail is functioning now, so you'll get your reports via e-mail.

I've added an executive summary and some other features. Thanks to all for the valuable feedback.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is now near it's final form. Please take a moment to try Position Guardian once more:

http://www.positionguardian.com

Thanks!
    Steve