SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would it be possible to find out how much disk space the sitepoint forums take up?
    the reason i ask is i'm debating wether i would need to get extra disk space if i'm to install a forum script.
    right now i have about 500 megs in my account, but i wouldn't be surprised if that's eaten up, bec the subject matter is very graphics oriented.

thnxs.
    . . . chris

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for now you'll be fine. Your forums surely won't fill up that fast

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a guess -
    Sitepoint has 74036 posts. Guess an average of 1k each (1000 characters, for simplicity.. some will be bigger, some will be less). 74036kb = 72mb. I would add another 20000 posts to this for the mods forum (I have no idea of how many there are in these).
    Add approx 5mb for images, source code.. and wasted space in the MySQL database.
    In all, about 97 - 100mb.

But, remember a forum like UBB will take many times this amount.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size estimatation is probably correct however the 74,000+ post total includes the ones in the Admin Forums as well.

A forum this size takes up between 3 and 5 times as much space in UBB. If we were still on UBB, half the posts that exist now will have been purged and deleted.

Every post in these forums currently takes up 32,412,598 bytes of space but that doesn't include member information, and supplement information stored about each post and thread like posting dates, search indexes, view and reply info and much more. It also doesn't include the calendar events, or actual code and images (which is only 2.33 Megabytes)
    Wayne Luke
    ------------