SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the basics…I've created a web page (dreamweaver) which I'd like to use as my newsletter but I'm new to the "newsletter business" and am clueless as how to convert my HTML file into an e-mail message (Netscape). Any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks,

dave

ps: I'm working on a Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I'm not sure how to convert your newsletter to HTML on a Mac, but I thought I'd just say I don't recommend sending your newsletter out in HTML form because many people can't receive HTML e-mails. I recommend simple text ones.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments. This is an internal newsletter and I know that everyone is able to receive HTML via e-mail. I'm aware of making all the image links absolute, but how do I convert the HTML page from beeing a dreamweave doc. into an e-mail message?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar at all with Dreamweaver, but can't you just save it as an HTML file and then send it using any email program ie: Outlook?

If so just do that, save it as a HTML file, upload it to your server.. open Outlook and then go to New Mail>Message>New Using>Webpage..enter the url of the document you just uploaded and whalla.

Be sure, before you send thet you go to Format in Outlook and uncheck "Send Pictures with Message."

I hope this helps, like I said I have never used Dreamweaver, but I don't see how this would be any different than any other editor.

<Edit: doohh!! I just realized you said you use netscape for your email. Hopefully it's still something similiar to what I explained above. If not maybe someone familiar with netscape can help you.>
    <Edited by BobM on 01-13-2001 at 02:53 AM>
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bob, Unfortunately those suggestions didn't work out for me. Perhaps it's something that requires more intense programing skills on the server end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its in a table, just cut and paste the table into netsheep, and make all the image links absolute.

Pete
    P.S - although i'd send it in plain text cos its quicker to load.
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's netsheep, and how do I get it?

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by norfett
    if its in a table, just cut and paste the table into netsheep, and make all the image links absolute.
    Netsheep? You stole that from me!!! .

(Netsheep is one of my pet names for NetScape Navigator, the browser. Some of the others I can't really repeat on the forums without breaking language rules.)

NetScape Communicator has an editting package in it, but i'd recommend using MS FrontPage express (unless you have a better package like FrontPage 98/2000 or Dreamweaver on hand). It's free and lets you paste in text from word 97. Very handy for newsletters where you won't want to reformat the whole thing.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where problems occur. I have a dreamweaver doc. ready to go as a newsletter, can't, however, paste it into "netsheep". Rather, I can, but it shows up as code in the e-mail message window. So I'm back to my dilemma, How do I get the HTML (incl. images) into an e-mail.
    I appreciate the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Open up the HTML page in Dreamweaver.
    2. Press Ctrl+A to select the complete page (ONLY inside <body></body> tag.
    3. Open up a new email in Outlook Express.
    4. Select Format > Rich Text HTML from the menu.
    5. Check View > Source Edit from the menu
    6. Now three tabs Edit, Source and Preview will appear at the bottom.
    7. Click on the Source.
    8. Select the whole HTML content within <body></body> tag and delete it.
    9. Press Ctrl+V to paste HTML content copied from Dreamweaver between <body></body> tags.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so close…but not there yet. I need to explain what e-mail software I'm able to use, in case this is what's causing the confusion. On the Mac I'm on Netscape and outlook express. On the PC, I'm on Outlook. I hope that between one of these options there should be a solution. I tried the above on all my possible variations and can only make it to step 4. I have no "Source Edit" in my View drop down. I have a View > Source, but I can't seem to edit that source. So, I never saw the three tabs (#6). Perhaps you're working with outlook express on a PC (the one option I don't have). Anyway, I appreciate your patience and would welcome any further insight into this chalenge.