SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently read an article, and I can't remember where, but it said that text advertisements are, or will be just as good as graphic advertisements. Has anyone here tried this technique?

I was thinking about doing that with the articles I write for my site, saying "This Article Is Sponsored By BlahBlah."

Again, has anyone tried this, if so, please tell me what the outcome was like, thanks!
    Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Text ads tend to be more effective (that is, they generally have a high CTR) than banners/graphical advertising because people have been so bombarded with graphical ads these last few years that they either hardly notice them, or simply feel resistant to clicking.

Text ads seem to be more of a personal referral from the webmaster. Like, which would you be more likely to click?

a) a white arrow in an orange circle with text saying SitePoint beside it.
    OR
    b) a the link in the following text:
    I strongly suggest you visit SitePoint.com for all your webmastering needs. They've got the absolute best collection of articles and tutorials on the web!

Now thats a little lopsided, BUT a banner could say the same thing AND it would still have a lower CTR because it doesn't feel to be so much of a personal referral. I think you can see my point.

Text ads are much more effective as far as clicking goes. Branding is different - I'm not sure there really is any rules for it

jer
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good point. Have you ever tried this technique though? I've seen it once or twice, but never really spoke to someone about it...
    Andrew Tatum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at an old site I used to run when I needed funding I asked using short pieces of text + textlinks my members to sign up for services that paid me per-lead. I had the per-lead banners up throughout my site but they hardly generated any hits or leads at all.

At this moment in time I'm running an affiliate program as a merchant. Thus, I get to see the statistics of all my links daily (impressions, CTR, CR, etc.) and my text links have by far the highest CTR. The CTR for them is usually between 1.5% and 3.5%, still pretty low but part of the reason is placement, it's not like all those thousands of people read the ad but dont click.

With banners it's a lot lower, and the better banners still boast CTRs of below 2% quite often. In that case, they usually are seen, just not clicked on.

So if you're participating in an affiliate program, i suggest using Text links and putting them in places they will be clicked. The places that get the most attention are say after little blurbs or articles regarding products/services in that field.

Also, don't just say "This article was Sponsored by", make a recommendation to the company. "If you want quality WHATEVER, I highly recommend THECOMPANY", something like that would be more effective. However, in that case you'd have to be a little more careful with who you choose to promote, because you don't want to send visitors to an unreliable company because then they wont trust you enough to click on another recommendation.

jer
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this technique on my hosting page at Pawsitronic where I list links and descriptions to web hosting companies that I feel my customers could benefit from. I dont like the idea of having a load of banners and buttons throughout the site to clutter it up. So far I've received a lot of good feedback for it, and hopefully the companies I have linked are getting some referrals from my site!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided that banners are totally out for my sites. I'm going to offering well-thought-out text links proceeded by a complete description and recommendation from me.

You're paying too much to be listed at Goto.com!
    Keep your ranking and save money with Position Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working for a new design for my site, and was thinking about have a 468 x 60 banner, a 120x60, and 88x31... perhaps some more, but really, I was going to make use text advertisements, and I wanted to see what other people thought of this idea.
    Andrew Tatum

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, text links can do very well. ecspecially when the content around them relates to the text link.

good luck

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you read that on webref? If so, that was my article

But yeah, text links are MUCH more effective. I wouldnt try to disguise them though, say clearly that they are sponsors, dont just give a related link, and make it an ad, kinda thing, because then (potentially) people begin to doubt your editorial sincerity and all sorts of other nasty things.

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies, you guys certainly have lead me in the right direction. I've only heard good responses, so obviously, text ads is a great idea to get some money from my site... thanks!

Any more opinions out there?
    Andrew Tatum

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm opening a free web host soon. Instead of banners the following 'advertising bar' will be placed on each page. It will be customized to fit the color of each site and the text links will change accordingly. What do you think?

http://www/syanet.com/adbar.htm

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That AdBAr looks very good syanet - I would think it will have relatively high Click-through rates. When I see a banner I tend to ignore it now, but when I see a text link I'm more likely to at least read it, maybe click.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also thinking about putting a pre-filled term in thte text box and maybe making only one text ad that's seems more 'real'.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another reason why text ads are so powerful: Graphics tend to be limited in capturing the essence of your brand. With text you can be descriptive yet immediate, holistic yet succinct.

My theory is that once you catch the user reading your text and you used somewhat decent text, this experience gives enough of a call to action as to provoke a click. Compare that with graphics which people have learned to avoid or whose visual vocabulary has become so trite and repetitive as to be instinctively ignored.
    Oski
    Let's Swap Traffic! I put your url in my 5200 user email list, you put my popup on your site!
    http://freecollegestuff.cjb.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebMasterAJ
    I was thinking about doing that with the articles I write for my site, saying "This Article Is Sponsored By BlahBlah."

Again, has anyone tried this, if so, please tell me what the outcome was like, thanks!

Andrew, we have tried it in some articles. You can take a look at the footer of this article for example:
    http://www.siteowners.com/article020.shtml

It 's a good way to promote your site and also increase your link popularity. However, you should expect good results only in the long run.

Steve.

Sell Online
    Attract customers with
    Magnetcommerce!
    Magnet e-commerce shopping cart software