SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Product, Just one will do?

Hello everyone, over the last month or two I have created many topics about my desire to start up an eCommerce site. The problem I ran into was, what the hell do I sell?

I may have found that, but Iím not sure. I contacted a manufacture on the weekend about selling some of there products. At first glance at what I was offered I didnít think I could pull it off, I needed to buy 480 items of the same product minimum before he would consider me, that works out to about a 3 thousand dollar investment for me before I even get off the ground. And thatís just ONE item, no Varity.

Now, this product that I found, in stores seems to sell for about $25-40 Canadian and when searching on eBay I can see it selling for $10 all the way to $27 for different versions (not the same model or brand, but similar construction and design/functionality). I can get the product shipped to Canada for roughly $8 per item (USD) for a small box of 48, smaller investment which is nice.

I have yet to research on the price that other eCommerce stores on the net are selling this product for, but I can image it will be higher. Now, without making to large of an investment I just wanted to purchase a case of 48 of my product and sell it, and if everything goes alright then I will go for the larger 480 item package. My main question that Iím working towards is, how do eCommerce sites do when selling just ONE item, no different modle variations? If they donít do great, what would you consider the smallest number of Items to distribute for an eCommerce store to see success?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marketing a single product is a perfectly valid approach! Frequently you can compete quite effectively with competitors who sell that product along with lots of other products. You might be able to geet better pricing, advertise more effectively (e.g., on Google), provide better support/service, etc.

Some thoughts regarding eBay: 1) when doing pricing analysis, you can search eBay for "Completed" auctions and make sure that there was actually a sale (some auctions close with the reserve price having not been met. 2) you can complement your online stores sales by also posting some product onto eBay. On eBay you can experiment with pricing, promotional copy, etc.

Good luck!
    Pricetack - sell your goods with automatic markdowns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltrix
    My main question that Iím working towards is, how do eCommerce sites do when selling just ONE item, no different modle variations? If they donít do great, what would you consider the smallest number of Items to distribute for an eCommerce store to see success?
    I don't know anything about other stores, but if you give me a product that I can sell for less than what it costs on the web or in the store, I'm sure I can.

I mean, with such an advantage, I think your model could be quite simple, but still work very effectivly.

Just market the fact that you are cheaper!

Good luck, and what is the product?

PS:
    I needed to buy 480 items of the same product minimum before he would consider me, that works out to about a 3 thousand dollar investment for me before I even get off the ground. And thatís just ONE item, no Varity.
    Now, without making to large of an investment I just wanted to purchase a case of 48 of my product and sell it, and if everything goes alright then I will go for the larger 480 item package.
    How did you end up making a deal with the guy for a smaller package?

|grZ|~!
    That's all folks...

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider a loan from family or friends if you can't afford the larger investment.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies and I hope there is many more to come.

As far as what is the product, without getting into to much detail, itís a specific LED 5 bulb flashlight, rugged aluminum construction ECT.

I am aware of looking on eBay and searching for completed and SOLD items. If someone wouldnít mind, how would you suggest conducting more research on the selling potential of this product?

Aspen, I donít have problem borrowing money; the problem is at this point im not 100% sure if this will be a successful operation so Iím having problems convincing myself to give up the money. And I know thatís not good.... But more reading and searching should solve that for me.

I was thinking of getting the carton on 48 to see if it would even sell, even if my profit margins are low, I will at least know that I have a product that sells and then I could purchase it at higher quantities and save on shipping.

How did you end up making a deal with the guy for a smaller package?

He, to my surprised offered... And that gives me an idea of having the flashlights labeled on the side in black (the flashlights are silver) my URL www.mystorename.com so that when people show the flashlights off to friends, they know were to get them. Dose anyone knows if this is against the law to display my URL on it? As far I know the product doesnít even state its own brand name on it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    itís a specific LED 5 bulb flashlight
    I'll buy one! I Love LED's!

|grZ|~!
    That's all folks...

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're buying the product from the manufacturer, its your property, you can change it however you wish.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    You're buying the product from the manufacturer, its your property, you can change it however you wish.
    Are you sure you can so that?

It seems to me they would have to permission to do that. Wouldn't it be a copyright violation or something? I can't see buying levi or gap jeans from the manufaturer and placing my logo over the jeans. Although I have done design jobs where we print on namebrand plain white t-shirts so I wonder what the real legal issues would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by animatics
    I can't see buying levi or gap jeans from the manufaturer and placing my logo over the jeans.
    Good point!

But I think the difference is this (IMO):
    You can't put your logo on those pants, but more specifically, you can't put it over or instead of the logo.
    But when you print shirts, you aren't printing over the logo (e.g. Hanes). It might be a problem if you take out the little thingy with the logo on it and put your own in there...

So I think you should be fine...

(but then again, GAP might object if you sell GAP jeans with your own logo on one of the legs...)

Interesting, that's for sure!

|grZ|~!
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me - I have a tendency to buy an item from someone online that is only selling one or two items. I know that usually I will get a better deal & that the company / person specializes in it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one product approach can be more advantagous. You can show more dedication to the product and have more detail.

As for the URL on the torch I don't think thats a problem; especially if you're not covering up anything on there already.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen

I tend to agree - you now own the product, and just adding your logo won't materially affect how the product performs (but remember you probably won't be able to get a refund from your supplier for faulty goods that have been altered?)

In the UK at least, the only thing to be careful of is "passing off" - ie to use the levis example, you wouldn't be able to say "buy my levis 50001 jeans" because you don't own any right to the levis brand name, but you would be perfectly able (and many designers do) to sell your own "designer" customised jeans using any brand you choose.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the manufacturer has any come-back providing you don't claim to manufacture or design the torch without their permission...

Matt