SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for some good ideas to add to my site. If you look at the site (http://www.jigga.com) then you'll see that there's a lot there already and a lot to grow on, but I need some good content ideas that will wow people. Like we're adding a music section to the site, but what in the world should we include besides lyrics, which will be added this weekend? We're also throwing in flash cartoons, but is there any other area of humor that's totally missing us? Celebrities are the same way, we want to add a celebrity picture gallery, but is there anything else that we should add? I'm looking for any good ideas on anything in the world. We want to add sections on just about any topic, so give me anything you've got. You can find my contact information in my profile or you can respond to this message. I'd love to hear your ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jigga,

I believe that you're making a mistake. A site should have focus. Focus is that the site concentrates on ONE topic (or one general area, such as humor) and expands upon it. To have a music section, a picture section, AND a humor section would make the site less respectable. My advice is: Do one thing, and do it well.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Digital Felony
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your music section Jigga maybe you can put the number 1 song on the charts for download each month.
    Maybe even have a Flash games section where people can sit back and play games.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Bu$ta KartOon
    With your music section Jigga maybe you can put the number 1 song on the charts for download each month.
    That would violate International Copyright laws with a fine of up to $25,000 U.S. per song and up to 5 years in jail. This is the same reason Napster is on trial and why MP3.com has already paid millions to various record companies.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, everyone on the net would love to allow people to download music free, but after napster and mp3.com, I'm not quite ready for that lawsuit yet.

As for making my content too diverse, we're trying to develop a network, so by creating several different content sections, we are just moving towards our network. At first it will be small and just have many categories and will be quite different, however, eventually it's going to be very seperate with active domains for each section of the site.

The problem is that our site is a humor site and humor sites just aren't performing as well in the market as other sites. I don't want to gear away from the humor, because that's the most fun type of site to do. However, I do have a love for music and other forms of entertainment. So, what I'd like to do is add music and television/movies. Those are two things that are close to me. I also think with our target market, these different category types will help the site substantially.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention the bandwidth you'd have to pay to do that.

I also agree with goober. Don't be microsoft, with a hand in every pot. Do one thing, do it well. The Internet is all about finding your niche, and trying to be the best in it.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums