SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist english-test.net's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PayPal Acceptance?

Hi, what is the PayPal acceptance these days? I mean, what is the percentage of people using the internet paying through PayPal? Thanks.

SitePoint Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see some hard stats on that as well. I do know it has to be in the millions due to EBay. It would also be nice to see a stat on how many sites accept PayPal for their products and services.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around 1/3 of all US online shoppers have used PayPal. For this group, using PayPal at your online store is as simple as typing in a password and clicking twice. The remainder may easily checkout through PayPal by providing name, address and credit card information.
    Pricetack - sell your goods with automatic markdowns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the stats.. but I do know this:

PayPal is so easy to install and use, that it would be a shame not to use it.
    Even if only 1/10th of your sales go through PayPal, it's worth the (very small) trouble...

Good luck!

|grZ|~!
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of my orders come through paypal; around 80% lately.

But, my customer base is webmasters and graphic designers...who are probally more likely to have a paypal account then the average internet user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends what your business is. We get about 20% of all orders through PayPal with credit cards being the highest at around 75% and the rest being money order or checks.
    + Carbonmade - Easiest way to display and manage your portfolio.
    + Burstoid - Design magazine.

+ twitter/spencerfry

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience with paypal is about 10-15% for sites with major volume (tens of thousands in orders a day). Sites with smaller volume or hosting services tend to have higher paypal ratios.
    - Ted S

Talk to the /dev/null Theiggsta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally prefer merchants that use PayPal because a lot of payments I get for programming side work endup in paypal. So if I could pay with what is in my account rather than incurring more debt from my credit cards, i'd be a happy camper!

Happy Holidays...

-Theiggsta
    Aaron "Theiggsta" Kalin
    Pixel Martini
    Ruby and Rails Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90% of mine orders are PayPal. It used to be more like 70% 30% but now it seems all I see are PayPal orders.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It usually depends on what is being sold & who are the customers.

Since almost anyone can get a Payapl account (even under 18) - this opens the market up to another generation now that can use money on the internet & do not have to have a credit card or a even a checking account. To get verified - very easy & you do not even have to give them a CC # oor checking account number in your name.

And as Theiggsta pointed out - he gets paid via Paypal & it is much easier to just transfer that money from one paypal account to another.

But to give your business more legitimacy, you should consider a merchant account or another third party. Some consumers know what is needed to get a merchant account. And they know that the business & the individual have been checked out and they can rely on the products that they are going to buy.

We had one merchant just sign up for a merchant account. He was only accepting Paypal previously. He says his sales have increased from about $500 a month to just last month he sold $7500.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to concur about the professionalism of a true merchant account. At my day job we get an average of two or three current paypal users who are tired of losing sales because they use paypal. It's not because the service is bad, it's just that it either doesn't look professional or they're losing sales because potential customers aren't buying because they don't want to sign up through paypal. That's probably the biggest hitch with paypal. If someone isn't already a member, they have to sign up to pay. I also recently made a donation to someone for providing great information and I wanted to use my business card, but in order to use it I would have had to go through a pain in the butt process of verifying it. Fortunately the amount was small so I just used my personal card which is what it already registerred in paypal otherwise I would not have bothered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask the Paypal representative here if any such statistics are available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one should accept PayPal only but it should be an option. The only reason my stats are so high 90% because most of my sales are from webmasters and most webmasters have a PayPal account. If this wasn't the case I'm sure it would be the other way around.

Using PayPal doesn't make your site look unprofessional at all. PayPal has developer tools just like any other merchant these days and can be integrated into any site professional and very easily. The bottom line is you have to provide multiple ways for someone to pay, its is worth the small time and investment in doing so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iweinweekly.com
    The bottom line is you have to provide multiple ways for someone to pay, its is worth the small time and investment in doing so.
    Couldn't have said it better, this is the truth!

|grZ|~!
    That's all folks...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone concerned about keeping their money in Paypal considering they are not a bank and funds are not insured? I see that many people just leave their deposits in paypal and spend them at other stores...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beley
    Is anyone concerned about keeping their money in Paypal considering they are not a bank and funds are not insured? I see that many people just leave their deposits in paypal and spend them at other stores...
    Every time my account reaches $1000 I move it into my bank account (click of a button and its free). I have been using PayPal for some time and a lot of cash has been in and out and have have had no problems what so ever. Wouldn't you do this with a merchant account as well... I do. Really there is no diference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwinweekly.com
    Wouldn't you do this with a merchant account as well... I do. Really there is no diference.
    There is one big difference - with a merchant account, your money is deposited into your bank account if you have had a batch transaction. Most gateways will automatically do a batch nightly if you have had transactions & there is no reason to sign in & tell them you want your money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    There is one big difference - with a merchant account, your money is deposited into your bank account if you have had a batch transaction. Most gateways will automatically do a batch nightly if you have had transactions & there is no reason to sign in & tell them you want your money.
    You still need to transfer it... Same goes for PayPal. I could transfer $50 every night If I wanted, I could even automate it if I wanted. But I just wait until it reaches a certain ammont. Same would go for a mechant account.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're happy to report that we are currently testing a payment method that does not require the buyer to sign up for PayPal. See http://www.flylady.com for a glimpse.

I'm not sure we have the statistics that Zain is looking for. We do have numerous satisfied merchant customers who use PayPal exclusively and numerous who use PayPal to complement other payment method.

PayPal can sweep funds automatically to your bank account on a daily basis or you may opt to sweep the funds yourself when you wish. One big advantage of PayPal is that it can also be used to make payments which is why many merchants leave some funds in their account.

For information on the insurance provided, see http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...n/fdic-outside

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbreit
    We're happy to report that we are currently testing a payment method that does not require the buyer to sign up for PayPal. See http://www.flylady.com for a glimpse.
    Now that would give paypal an edge.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused. The link you provided went to a store http://www.flylady.com

It looked like the normal PayPal to me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paypal & Clickbank

I use Paypal & Clickbank and nearly all my sales come from Paypal.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you go through the "never used PayPal before" flow, you'll see that it's different. Of course, you'd need to go through the whole flow to see that you aren't required to select a password.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pbreit
    If you go through the "never used PayPal before" flow, you'll see that it's different. Of course, you'd need to go through the whole flow to see that you aren't required to select a password.
    I hope they will get something like that up and running soon. Everyone would probably agree that the drawback of using PayPal is the account process for the buyer.