SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    Cyberbrain is working on a design which looks great so far now he need your helpto improve the design in any way
    possible, thanks

http://www.netcervo.com/maxezone/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Welcome back.

The code is very clean.

The one, no two problems are with a single piece of code.

<INPUT TYPE=IMAGE NAME="submit" VALUE="submit" ALT="Submit" SRC="images/submit.gif" BORDER="0" VSPACE="0" HSPACE="0"></TD>

the vspace and hspace are not valid attributes of the input element.

Then there are the usual accessability items of alt= , accesskey= and longdesc=

Otherwise the code is very nice.

This is really a fine looking page. Black bg is something that seems to require talent that only few posess. The other designer is also here a sitepoint.

Thanks....Really Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to dispute Ed, but there is one other code issue I found: you lack closing tags on your <center> tags.

The overall look and layout is good. I like the repeated use the the orange 'e'. Have you considered this layout on a whaite background? It may give it a more professional look. Just an opinion.

You may want to consider reposting the site after you have more content.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely missed the /center item.

Sorry

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First let me say that I really like your site. Not too many web pages can pull off a good-looking design with a black background. The orange-grey-black scheme gives it a sort of mysterious and intriguing look. Not sure if thats what you were aiming for, but I think it helps add to the personality of the site.

On the left side of the navigation bar, I noticed that you have the same words twice down the page. "News" with a white outline, and then "News" written in orange. Maybe you could combine them and have orange text with a white outline, so you get the best of both effects. Just an idea.

Otherwise the basic layout looks nice. Now all you need is your content Good luck!

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something about your logo struck me as "not quite sharp." Sure enough, I zoomed in and your top MaxEZone GIF was pretty badly dithered. It didn't look like it was from GIF compression but rather like it was JPGd at some point previous.

I took a screenshot of a zoom where I fixed the M and X and left the letter A as it was to show the difference. It will make for a much sharper logo if correct the inside of the letters or simply recreate the logo. Looks like 'Terminator' with a modified Z.. we have similar tastes

I like how you erase the input text boxes when you onclick them-- I do that as well and wish more people would so users would get used to it.

How about stopping the Top-of-Page arrow from animating constantly. Have it bounce up and down once every 4 or 5 seconds? It will still be noticed and not be so dominant.

What will go in that black space above the sets of articles? Is that for a banner headline? It is a little large to just be spacing-- either tighten up or fill it, IMHO.

Don't mean to sound critical, it is a nicely done layout, I'd like to see it again with more guts.

Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi again, thanks for the review, is there any thing else to improve the design? he is already fixing the problems you found in the design
    <Edited by Luqman on 01-06-2001 at 04:20 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k after a bit of work hers another design with credit to cybebrain the designer http://www.netcervo.com/maxezone/last.htm
    the javascript error will be fixed if u get one?

any way your views which ones better?
    <Edited by Luqman on 01-10-2001 at 05:32 PM>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guy's, Thanks for the review!
    I will be taking care of the HTML code as soon as the design get approved.

There is some kind of problem with the 'javascript filter' (i think it's the one). I don't get any javascript error when visiting the page, but Luqman told me that he was getting one. If anybody is experiencing diffuculties with this, please let me know what line the error occur, as well as what type of error. Of course, if you know how to fix it, do not hesitate to let me know! Hehehehe...

Also, if somebody have a great idea regarding the left navigation....PLEASE, share with me! The link are not looking really bad... but i beleive that something better could be done. (I get stuck pretty fast working on a plain (black) background).

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Ran the page past hotdog pro and find that there are occurances of hspace and vspace as attributes of the input tag.

Of course there are the alarms that come in from not having the accessibility items (alt=, accesskey= and longdesc=). but these cannot be completed until real graphics, etc. is in place.

thanks for the heads up and sharing the work that you have done. the site is very very clean.

peace

A home in the hills where the grass grows green an
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site...
    The only problem I found was that the search and newsletter areas are degraded by NN 6. The alignment of the text areas gets messed up.
    Think beyond what is common...
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design with black background, really like it a lot, just wondering why do you have the same banner on the top and bottom. And the :::search::: is very cool, nice work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cckrocks:
    I wasn't aware of the problem with the text box on NS6 (may be because i don't have it installed! )
    But i'm not really surprised about this. Even in NS4 they are looking a little strange, at least not exactly like i would like them to look! By the way, do NS6 display the text box field liek NS4 or like IE(are they bigger than in IE)?

nam:
    The design is just a 'draft', the final graphics, banners and code will be up later. (when Luqman feel like the design is as close as possible of what he was expecting).

I was wondering about the javascript error, does anybody did get a javascript error when visiting the page? Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the way images get clearer when you hover over (the last version) I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this before but the bottom banner and copyright info, well it's a bit off. You should make sure it's the same fixed length as the main table.

And is there some special reason you havent centered the entire thing?

And yeah another thing, arent center tags gonna be replaced with <div align=center>?

I liked the initial main bar better!

BUT in the grand scheme of things: Great site!

/Anders
    <Edited by Anders on 01-14-2001 at 08:06 AM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post your e-mail and I'll send you a screen shot of what happens in NN6.
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd be great full if you could post a link to the screen shot here but if you cant please email to Luqman@loisandclark.co.uk thanks alot

yes we now about the bottom banner cyberbrian will clean the code up! thanks again

what do you think is the problem with the javascript error i get i am using IE 5.5 and on my friends computer it works fine hes using IE 5.5 is well, also i have tryed to repair
    IE 5.5 but still with no luck but the other things look fine....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a url to a screenshot for you http://www.jaggedknife.com/temp/maxezone.jpg it looks like you will have to make that table slightly bigger, becuase NN6 makes the input area larger than IE. Kinda wierd, I played around with your code a little to make sure than NN was recognizing the "size" attribute, and it is, but makes the text area a little larger.
    www.jaggedknife.com
    www.fusion-in.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Luqman,

Firstly, I like your page but its too dull...
    3 colours with a black background makes the site look stagnant.

I suggest adding another 'bright' colour so that the page can be brightened up.

Secondly, the seperation line between the nav menu and the content is too light.. One cannot notice the difference.

Its best to have a clearcut on wheres the nav. menu and content. (usability is important)

Good luck !

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is very nice. I like the black and orange. I think the image for the newsletter is hard to read though.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE 5
    Windows 98
    1024x768
    44000 bps connection

The design looks very nice and is a great example of a good looking black background site. There isn't much to say, because I do like this design. Nice work my friend.