SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry mate, scroll up... W.Luke of SitePoint has already supported our freedom of expression and has deemed this an acceptable thread. It is your post that has nothing at all to do with a website review and is offensive to me! I hope they don't count that towards your "three review quota."

Go have a beer or a cigarette or a cup of coffee (or whatever YOUR drug of choice is).. but man I've seen too many people get screwed up after smoking that cigarette muck or drinking that tequila muck! Adults should really have their decisions made for them. Love you anyway,

OG
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly...Guys, i know this is a little late for a post.

I'm 14. This web site in no way makes me want to smoke marjiuna (see, i can't even spell it!)

Trust me guys. Keep the review to the DESIGN, not the content.

If you can't be civil enough to do that, then you always have the freedrom to not post.

(Sheesh).
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Overgrow
    Sorry mate, scroll up... W.Luke of SitePoint has already supported our freedom of expression and has deemed this an acceptable thread. It is your post that has nothing at all to do with a website review and is offensive to me! I hope they don't count that towards your "three review quota."
    I've long since passed my three reviews quota. And come on, you're really offended by my post? If so I'm truly sorry, but what should I do? Pretend like it doesnt bother me? That's not right, this is a community and I should have the right to express my opinion. And you say it's not a website review. I disagree.

And goober, the description for this forum is: Get other webmasters to review / critique your site! In my world it's not all about design, far from it. The only way it would be all about design is if you were actually runing a site about website design When I one day post a request for a review I'd want people to offer their opinions regarding the design, concept, ideas for improvements and services/features the site lacks! The design is used to wrap up the product: Content! The content is why the come to your site, don't ever forget that! And I must admit that perhaps I wasnt as clear as I should have been, but that's going to change: This post (and my previous) is/was critique regarding your choice of site content.

Do you really want to promote drug usage? I must admit that I'm going out on a limb here. I dont know much about the effects of cannabis, but I presume that as you use the it the amount you have to use increases with time, right? Since I do know that there are severe "side-effects" of a heavy usage, doesnt that mean you're all bound to end up there? Either way we have such big problems with drink-driving should we now also have problems with drug-driving?

Go have a beer or a cigarette or a cup of coffee (or whatever YOUR drug of choice is).. but man I've seen too many people get screwed up after smoking that cigarette muck or drinking that tequila muck! Adults should really have their decisions made for them. Love you anyway
    As far as adults having the right to make their own decissions, well regarding this subject I sort of disagree because I dont think it's that simple. The usage of alcohol has a proven record of leading to medical problems which need to be treated and in turn has severe effects on the society. Who is to say which costs would be associated with an allowance of cannabis?

And yes maybe cigarettes and alcohol should be baned? In the sake of cigs I see it as a possibility that it could happen but as far as alcohol, well not in a long time. Partly because of the public choice theory (politicans would never comit political-suicide) and perhaps mostly due to the "It will never happen to me!" problem.

So I don't understand how you can see this as an argument. Sure I sometimes party hard with my pals and a few beers or alike have been known to be involved in the process. So granted I have double standards, right? But can't that all be attributed to "wont happen me"?

And last of all I'd like to discuss what goober submited "This web site in no way makes me want to smoke marjiuna". Which is most likely true for most of us here. I don't think that just because you're 13-14 you're brain damaged and can't think for yourself. The only thing which applies to most youths (and a lot of adults too) is group preasure. But no matter if you're 10 or 55 if we continue to allow the drug-liberals to promote their "product" we'll all inhale a bit of fumes and will with time accept it. Since we dont know which effects it has on the aggrigated supply, medical budget, life expectancy, etc, I dont think we should just accept it!

I dont mean for this post to be offensive, I really dont. But I do feel that this should be said regarding this website. Sorry you don't want to hear it. Life is hard sometimes you know. To be honest, deep down I must agree with the decission of SP to allow this post. I do however not think it should stand undisputed. You shouldnt be allowed to pop your head in and promote drug usage without being confronted.

/Anders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what? I'm not even getting into this. This is childish, and if we have nothing better to do than dwell on it, then we have MAJOR problems in this community. I'm out.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.ce picture of Scene,but [M], may be not suitable to all public.

2.If I don't like to e-mail to webmaster. Can you please add more e-mail address,or a least show the link to more others appropiate e-mails?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OverGrow, I think your site is amazing (design and content wise). The frontpage loaded very quickly on my 31kbps connection. The design is very clean and easy to nagivate, great job.

I checked out the new design also (/iss5php/) and I think it looks much better than the current design, and I can't wait until you implement it.

Your forums are chalk full of interesting information, and I am going to have to put aside many hours to read through the archived posts.

Good job (Ps, ever seen the movie "Saving Grace"?)

Anders, I wouldn't worry about this post; There is enough D.A.R.E propoganda everywhere to steer kids away from this drug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't continue our discussion here about the content of my site out of respect to the forums as I believe it is off-topic. You are welcome to come to our Lounge where I believe our users would enjoy a debate with someone of a different opinion. If you've never known adult Cannabis users yourself, you might be surprised. Just because propaganda might make pot smokers out to be amotivated couch potatoes with no job and no life, that often isn't the case. Those people are couch potatoes to begin with. I personally know business owners, state university professors, stock brokers, a politician-- all who smoke pot every day instead of having a drink after work.

Rob, thanks for the support-- glad you discovered the site. Hope to see you registered on the forums, it's a friendly community if you stay out of the Tank

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new site design is very nice...
    However the text (links in particular) seem extremely small on IE5.5, I do not know if this because of font or just font size.

Secondly, I am 16 yrs. old and go to a very relaxed Texas High School. I have not experimented with illegal substances, but from just being in school I have learned more than this post (and the web site) mention. The site in no way makes me want to go get "blown". I think some of us are overeacting a little about this whole thing.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stephan, I appreciate the comments.

I wonder if you could post: 1) your system review specs and 2) a screenshot. I'm always curious to see how it reacts with other's font settings. If you've played with CSS I'm sure you know how tough it is to get it the same size on all browsers on all platforms.

thanks~

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Overgrow
    Thanks CJ and DJ for the comments and for pointing out that mis-aligning <td>. It could probably be fixed with a valign=bottom but I believe the real issue is that the top right text-nav is spilling on to two lines... caused by font sizes but easily fixed by spanning that <td> out to the right so it can spill wider.

I think I've fixed it now... it already had a colspan but was hard-widthed. Can you tell me if still see the problem?
    It's not as bad off as it was, but it's about 2-3 pixels higher than the rest, just enough to look a little misaligned... The nav text is better though, I had noticed that it spilled over to two lines before.

I'll try to remember to get some screenshots for you so you can see that and the text size thing (I hope).

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi computer user,

In refernce to your question

1.ce picture of Scene,but [M], may be not suitable to all public.

2.If I don't like to e-mail to webmaster. Can you please add more e-mail address,or a least show the link to more others appropiate e-mails?
    the eMail listings at the bottom of each page will put you in touch with the forum director, developer and/or the senior advisors.

peace

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overgrow,

My specs are a 233 MhZ PII (piece of junk ) at 800X600 using IE5.5 at 32bit color. I will post a screenshot ASAP!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As somebody who does support the legalization of Marijuana in the US ( http://www.eactivism.org/warondrugs/index.html -- don't go to the root directory, it currently redirects to my other site), I have to warn you that you will be facing considerable scrutiny. The US is already considering legislation that would make it illegal to *publish anything* related to the production of MethAmphetamines and it is likely that they will extend these Gestapo tactics to information about other substances as well.

Also, don't expect to have people line up to advertise on your site. Most advertising networks prevent sites with controversial meterial from joining because they do not wish to align themselves with a particular viewpoint. You may be able to line up adult sponsors, but I think that would detract from the quality and integrity of your site. If all else fails, you should ask your readership to donate to the e-zine. I'm sure you could continue to exist only with donations.

Good luck.

Lenny

BTW, maybe we could set up a reciprocal link between the "War on Drugs" page and a similar section on your site.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

<rant>
    Before I start my review I would like to say to the others : whether you like it or not, please respect the other person's point of view, as well as the angle they are coming from. You may not like pot, and may be completely anti, but this is not the forum to be discussing such a moral issue - as OG offered, please take it to the Lounge or another place where there is a discussion and you can argue all you like about it. Thank you. At the same time Wayne has already made it very clear what SitePoint's position is on this thread. We (the advisors and founders) will all stand by it.
    </rant>

Ahhhhhhhh, that's better. Let's get on with the review, shall we?

==============================================
    Browser : IE5.5
    Resolution : 1024x768
    Color : 24-bit
    Connection : cable
    ==============================================
    1. My biggest gripe is the lack of consistency in the look and feel throughout the site. By that I mean :

- When you first enter the site you have a greenish frame at the top. When you access the rest of the site it turns into a dark-bluey frame.

- The look and feel on the news page is quite different to the 'strains' page.

- The look and feel on the 'search' pages are extremely different to the rest of the site (the blue/purple versus the green)

You should probably aim for a bit of consistency in the site so that it all fits together a bit better. Stick to a color theme, I say

2. The forum looks absolutely phenomenal. I seriously can't see any improvement in that.

3. The font on my IE5.5 seems to be fine. Did you fix it or has it been always like that?

4. With the 'Quick Navigation' bar, you probably need a 'Home' link back to the front page. I kept wanting to go back to the front but couldn't find a really easy, *consistent* way to get back.

<slight correction> I see now you have a link back to the home page on the bottom of each page (as far as I can tell anyway). It's hiding! </slight correction>

5. With the cover story, if you could break it down a bit further (so that people don't have to scroll as much) it would be easier on the reader. I suggest cutting it to 3/4 scroll-downs maximum. (on my browser it's around 6-7)

6. Still on the story, when I click on 'Cover page', the 'purple' bar at the top comes back instead of the green bar. Is that deliberate?

Anyway, hope this helped a bit. Great site (particularly forums) - keep it up!
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overgrow, I would just like to say your old design and your new design is excellent !

Also your board is amongst the best example of vb I have seen.. I first saw it on the vbulletin forums and was temtped to email you to help me with a design for mine if I had the finances and I may just do that ni the future...

Apart from the lining up of the log at the top it looks excellent.. I really like the green, white theme b4 but your new one throws on the blue to which looks excellent..

As for php redesigning, I would like to speak to you on this if I could for some tips. My site (in my sig) is currently taking me roughly 20-25 hours a month to update. Only last weekend I was stuck in the office for the majority of it building endless html articles ggrr It only started out as some fun so i wasn't going to have a strict date for updating it but in only 8 weeks its on course for 600 K this month and I am getting mail on when is it going to be updated etc.. I have kept to the first month deadline but in order to do the same I too need to do a php/sql redesign...

There fore do you have a messenger I can get you on ?

Cheers

Cloughie
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anders
    You have a wonderful site BUT ...... This post is really offensive to me.

/Anders
    contradicting yourself.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

Everyone:

I Think that we should close this thread. Not because the post is offensive, but because it has reduced us to a bunch of argumentative children. This is a prime example of what happens when normally logical people let their own personal feelings about a site interfere with their judgement on how it is designed. All this proves is that a bunch of so-called adults cannot put a simple thing like the TOPIC of a site placed after the design and quality of the coding.

Please: Just end this. We've embarassed ourselves enough.

And I'm quite sorry that I had to come out and say this.