SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have an old 486SX/33 notebook running Win 95 on it that i wish to install red hat linux on. Do i reformat my notebook's 340MB hard drive ? and then what ?

once i have Red Hat Linux installed i plan on installing http://www.nusphere.com for MySQL, PHP, Apache and perl etc.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you probably don't have a CD-ROM drive in the notebook, you'll need to get bootnet.img (I think) from a RedHat mirror site (search for it, it's easy to find). Pop it in, and it will take you through a few steps until it asks for an FTP server to get files from (because it's only gonna need to download 20MB, it's not too bad for dialup if you have that. Don't install the X Windows system though!!). Get one from redhat.com/download/mirrors.html (iirc) and enter that.

It will download everything and ask you how you want your HD formatted. You'll probably just want two partitions: one 16MB one on /boot and the rest on "/". It will go along and do that and download from the FTP site.

I recommend installing MySQL, PHP, Apache, and Perl by yourself because it's good to know how to do that. Just my $.02.