Thread: PHP/MySQL Book

Hybrid View

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

I've been really thinking about getting a book on this subject matter from Amazon.com. I want to get http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...712314-8492662--Professional Php Programming (Programmer to Programmer)-- but many people have complained about it's lack of depth on sessions, so I've also been leaning to PHP 4 Bible. I have JavaScript Bible, and I like it. I'm pretty familiar with JavaScript and basic programming concepts along with having read Kevin's absolutely great tutorial on this subject matter, along with others on the net.

Anyone know which book out of those two to get for a somewhat experienced programming (except for Objects )

aDog
    <Edited by Arielladog on 01-03-2001 at 09:05 PM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Professional PHP Programming" from WROX Press covers PHP, with one fairly large section on MySQL - but be warned, it's tough reading if you're new to things.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What aboutt sessions? I was editing my message a lot before because I couldn't get the URL's to work properly--for some reason, the programmer to programmer URL wasn't working, so I changed its format.

ANyway, thanx for advice. I realize a lot of people on here reccomend that book, but what abotu sessions and what about PHP 4 Bible?

aDog

P.S.-Thanx for SUPERFAST response

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ariella, yes that book was written(in my opinion) for PHP3 it doesn't even touch on PHP4's built-in session support.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you get Programming PHP from O'Reilly (the publisher) by the creators of the language? I don't have it personally but I've heard great things about it.

I'm 100% sure it will have information on databases as that's just about the only reason someone would use PHP over other languages.