SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi There,

I know a little bit about JavaScript - I understand conditionals, variables, arrays, alerts, functions and event handlers - isn't too much trouble. Some of those are just a matter of fully memorizing them.

This said, can someone recommend a good JavaScript book to me? I would really like to become a full-blown expert on the subject.

Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it, but I decided not to learn Javascript. So don't take that as an indication of this book's quality. Javascript for Dummies.

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Commish,

I really only know JavaScript and it is the first and pretty much only language that I "know." That said, the ebst way I learned was by hanging out at forums, but I learned other stuff such as prototype and argument and caller, etc.. (the details of JavaScript) by reading the only programming book I have, JavaScript Bible, 3rd Edition. However, from what I have heard, if you have a good grasp on programming, which you do , go ahead and go for the more detailed/advanced O'Reilly book. That being said, I can reccomend 2 more advanced JavaScript books that should be ok:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...712314-8492662Javascript : The Definitive Guide (URL screwed up and wasn't showing,b ut I fixed in the edit)

Pure JavaScript

But out of those two, I'd probalby go witht he first one because I've heard great things about it from very good JavaScripters.

Good Luck,
    aDog
    <Edited by Arielladog on 01-03-2001 at 09:08 PM>

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll second Ariella's recommendation on JavaScript : A Definitive Guide. A bit dry, but covers virtually every aspect of JavaScript, so you really can't go wrong.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I havn't used O'Reilly books much, but a lot of people like them. I took a look through the Table of Contents for that JS book though on Amazon.com, and was stunned: it's huge!

I decided to go with that one. I also bought the pocket reference by the same person (same publisher and picture on the front), and "Beginning Active Server Pages 3.0"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just downloaded "Ugly JavaScript" - it's free because it's quite old, and based on HTML 3, using IE and NS 3 - will this be too out of date to be practical?

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll probably still learn the JavaScript fundamentals from it, bit if you want to KNOW JavaScript, I reccomend buying a book.

aDog