SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to post a little motivation for you guys who are considering asking a few high traffic sites for a link to yours.

This is the story I decided about a week ago that I was going to approach approx. 10 sites that I believe compliment my webmaster site. What I did was send a personalized email to each one telling them how much I like there site and what kind of benefit I believe my site can provide their visitors.

The results were amazing! Out of the 10 emails I sent I heard back from 5 and ALL agreed to link to my site. 2 out of those will mention my site in their ezines(that total 50,000) and all 5 will put my 88 X 31 button on their page. Two of those will also put a text link on their site.

So far I am receiving approx. 50 uniques daily from these sites and only a few have implemented my links.

Just wanted to post this to motivate you guys not to be afraid to ask, but be careful. Make sure you do not SPAM them.

I had great success because when I emailed them I told them the benefits that they would receive by linking to me. The only reason someone would link to my site would be the benefit to their visitors. So make sure to state WHY they should link to your site and how it will benefit theirs.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cool story!

Also, I'd just like to say that I really like your site. I think it's great! I'm working on setting up a directory site with Gossamer-Threads' Links 2.0 and have gone to your site for an example of a good Links directory and for good webmaster links! Kudos to you on a great webmaster site!(none is paying me to say that!)
    -Nick

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great success story, Steve.

The key to getting people to link to you is personalization. Make the other person feel like you are a great visitor who absolutely loves the site.

The most important thing to remember is that you have nothing to loose.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macromedia thanks for the kind comments.

Yes personalization is the key. I tried to look around and find the person with whom I was trying to contact. And was able to address the majority of the contacts by the first name. It makes them feel they know me.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com