SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this thread is in the right forum...

Anyway on the the post: A while ago my hard drive got broken (physically), I managed to retrieve some important data (college work, clients website etc...) but a new hard drive was inevitable (sp?). I had a computer store install a new drive and copy the old stuff (of what they could) onto it. They told me I could set it all up, I agreed as i had a friend who could do that. Apparently when they put the drive in, they forgot do do something (don't ask me what as it was a long time ago). So my friend said he needed to format the drive to make it readable / writeable. I agreed as I'd backed up any important stuff (and it would give me an excuse to get rid of all the crap on it).

The old drive was a 2.0Gb (don't laugh) and the new one was a 4.0Gb (almost as bad, but I am a poor student so I can't afford a super fast 200Gb drive..)

Soon after, I realised that in windows, windows(95) said the drive was only only 2.0Gb - I know it isn't (it says on the drive) - so something is wrong.

Is there something I can do to sort this out as I am running seriously low on space. preferably without having to format the drive (I am to busy and don't have enough disks to back up everything I need!)

One thought is that the disk has been partitioned with one of the partitions not showing up (but I have no idea - this idea was another friends)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanx - If any more info is required please ask!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've once experienced that after I used fdisk to create partitions, only 4 Gb of the 10 Gb showed up in Windows. So I backed up my stuff (I actually transferred about anything to another HD in the PC of my brother, over the LAN), used fdisk to remove all partitions, rebooted my PC, created three partitions, rebooted, formatted the C: drive, installed Windows and restored the backup.

As far as I know that's the best solution. Even PM won't help here.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 95 only supports drives up to 2Gb in size (Limited by the Fat16 file system), your best bet would be to obtain a copy of Windows95 ORS2+ or even better Windows 98 and re-format and install from scratch. Other then that Elledan has the solution for you.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KARL:
    What Windows 95 only supports up to 2.0Gb drives???? that can't be right. there was much larger drives about when Windows 95 was still being produced.

ELLEDAN:
    I think that is what my friend did (used fdisk). But if what Karl says is true (about 2.0Gb max size on windows 95) then doing that won't really work will it?. But if I have to do that what is the process of doing it? ... Run fdisk, remove any partitions and then format it, and then put all the stuff back on?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah what is Windows95 'ORS2+' , where can I get it and how much will it cost?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm afraid Karl is right - the first version of Win95 only supports drives up to 2Gb in size.
    Win95OSR2.5/2+ is not a publicly available update - it was released to manufacturers years ago and is sadly not available to the public - it never was. So unless you can get hold of an OEM Windows 95 OSR2.5/2+ CD, then you'll need to upgrade to Win98/ME/2000. It would be a good thing to do anyway - Win95 is getting slightly outdated now

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl
    Windows 95 only supports drives up to 2Gb in size (Limited by the Fat16 file system), your best bet would be to obtain a copy of Windows95 ORS2+ or even better Windows 98 and re-format and install from scratch. Other then that Elledan has the solution for you.
    You can partition a physical drive into more than one, however. At the time that Windows 95 was out, a lot of computers had drives much larger than 2GB, however they were partitioned into several smaller drives.

My families first computer (1996) had a 2.5GB hard drive partitioned into two 1GB hard drives and a half-gig hard drive.

If you can stand having a few partitions no bigger than 2GB, and if you can stand living with Windows 95, then you'll be ok