User Tag List

Thread: CSS confusion

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New year all,

Can anyone tell me why Netscape 4.72 applies CSS formatting correctly on this site that I've done, but not this one, and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have that version of Netscape. I suppose someone will, but the one thing you need to know is that Netscape is pretty good at messing up CSS regardless of the site.

See also:

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=14135

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=14056

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=13924

<Edited by jamesglewisf on 01-02-2001 at 06:12 PM>
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi musika

I looked over your sites with NN, and the image hover effect of your CSS works in IE, but doesnt work on either site in NN

The thing is, NN 4+ does not support the hover effect of style sheets at all.

What else does not show on NN 4+?

That was the only one I could point out, without being able to look at your .css code.

As well, on the crew ministries page the side nav bar image doesnt show up on my NN browser... I think it may be due to the table size maybe being too small for the side bar, but I only glanced at that quickly.

Hope this helps

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, james and smirk, for your help so far - I guess I wasn't clear in stating the problem.

On the first site, NN displays the text formatting correctly - coloured headings and subheads, Verdana font for the body text.

On the second one, the text is supposed to be formatted similar to the first - Verdana font for body text, Arial for headings, coloured headings and subheads. But NN displays all Times New Roman, all black text - the defaults, not the way it's supposed to be formatted.

I know the hover property doesn't work in NN. I'm confused as to the reason the formatting shows up properly in the first, but not the other.

You can view my CSS files - the first one here and the second one here.

Smirk, yes, the side nav bar is messed, too. I'll get to that after I figure out this problem.

Thanks again,
    m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same problem. I'm converting Snitz forums to css and for some reason it doesn't use the font I specify it uses Times New Roman all the time in Netscape.

You can view an early version of it here http://www.forumco.com/articles/v31sr4/default.asp

One thing I did notice in your css code was that you need to have quotes around fonts with spaces in their names e.g. "sans serif"

I know that won't solve your problem, but if it find an answer I'll post it here.
    Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah i see it now..

I had that problem with NN too in one site I did... I changed the link from global to local and it worked better because NN was reading my style sheet as being in a different location than the location at which IE does..

I cant explain it either...

Finally I got so frustrated with it I went back to using <font> tags until there was better support...

which may not be for a while...

But put the css locally on the page and it should work.. I know.. it kills the point of CSS.. but NN and its 14 users suck...

(personal opinion)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smirk, thanks for the suggestion - I need to think about whether that's worth it, because as you say, it kills the point of using it.

I've got a partial solution - I know why it's not working, but I still don't know how to fix it.

It's not working in the second site because everything's in a table, and the first one uses CSS+P (which doesn't work right in NN 4.7x either, but whatever...).

But just doing this in my CSS file

table, td {
    formatting...
    }

doesn't work because then ALL the text in that table takes on that formatting.

Any suggestions for how I can have more than one set of formatting within the table? I haven't tried this yet, but I will:

table {
    basic font & colour, etc.
    }

table.p {
    color: #000000;
    etc.
    }

table.p.info {
    color: #CCCCCC;
    etc.
    }

Though I'm not sure this will work. If anyone can shed some light I'd appreciate it. If I don't hear anything, I'll try it, and let y'all know if it might be a suitable workaround.

thanks again,
    m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. I always have the problem of Netscpae not using the CSS Font Styles even though you idd set it properly.

Well, there's a way around it. Though I have no explanation to how it actually worked out well, sometimes,. after inserting a table, form etc., for the rest of the text after the tbale or form elemnt, the font style reverts to times new roman. The work around is try inserting a <br> tag, or more than 1..

or you could include them into the table or form elemtns etc.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I solved my problem by putting the classes in the <td> tags instead of the <tr> tags e.g.

<tr>
    <td class=whatever>

</td>
    </tr>

Apparently Netscape doesn't render classes properly when inside <tr> tags sometimes.

Here also is some advice I was given -

1. When using a "Hex" color always make sure you include the "#" (e.g. #FFFFFF).
    2. Always close a style property with ; (even the last one).
    3. Always include a generic font family (sans-serif or serif).
    Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my suggestion for your CSS:

Include font-family: in every entry. Netscape needs to be reminded sometimes which fonts to use.

Also, don't space between the number and "pt" in font, for example:

font-size : 8pt ;

NOT

font-size : 8 pt ;

This should fix most of your problems. I didn't actually load up NS, but those were some errors I saw in css file... tell me specifically if you need anything else fixed... I've been hacking CSS for a while now (between IE and NS), so i know how to fix most problems...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the input and help!

honging, your suggestion worked. All I did was include font-family in all entries, and remove the space, and bam! all colours, sizes and fonts fall into place. wow.

Now if someone could tell me why the right arm of the cross doesn't align flush with the middle piece in NN 4.7x and 6, but does in IE 5.5, and how to fix that, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again,
    m.