SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to automate backup of sites?

Dear All,

I have a master reseller account using cPanel as a management system. It offers a manual backup option, but here's what I need to do:

I need to be able to FTP a backup of my entire reseller directory to a remote server, and I need to be able to schedule it to run on a regular basis.

Something else I need to know how to do is FTP a backup of each account individually to a remote server, on an automated basis.

What would be really ideal is if the files were always named the same thing, so that they would overwrite each other and not stack up over each backup. With the backup setup in CPanel, you can backup manually, and you cannot select the name of the file. I need it automatic and so I can set the name of the file.

So, I guess the big question is if there is a way to set up a cron job to run a backup FTP procedure on a daily/weekly basis for 1) The entire master account and 2) Each account individually, where I can name the backup files. Is there any kind of script where you can set those kinds of perameters?

Thank you,
    Chris
    Chris S.

Free Web Scripts - Form generators, AJAX tools and more!
    Micro CMS - A totally free AJAX-based, SEO-ed CMS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to create regular backups of the database on digidiet using several ASP components. SoftArtisans Archive is a good component that compresses files on a server into manageable files such as ZIPs and CABs. I then left a copy of the zip file in a different directory on the server and also emailed a version to my home address. The file was only about 400kb so it was perfectly fine (although I did have to archive my email every now and then). This script was run every 12 hours using Livetask (quite a useful service for regular processing of scripts).

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or if it is the most efficient option, but it did the job for me on a low user website. It could be adapted to archiving websites etc.
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.