SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know where to post message

I need to ask this question on some SitePoint forum but have no idea which forum to post it. Please read my post and let me know if I should post it somewhere else. Thanks!

Question: I want to create a site offering really cool free graphics. I create them in Photoshop and think I am talented. It would be a large, and very cool resource for webmasters. The only dilemma is, I want to be able to earn money through my site somehow since I'll be putting in so much effort. I'm wondering how much I could make from advertising? If anyone has any tips or ideas of how I could bring in some revenue, that would be great! Do you think this type of site would be worth creating???

If there are any webmasters of free graphics sites here who could share your experiences with making money with your site, please email me.

Thanks,
    Carolyn
    <Edited by imcarolyn on 01-02-2001 at 11:32 AM>

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No reason to repost. I'll just move it instead.

P.s. I changed the title as well so it could get a little attention.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think graphics sites are always going to be a little harder to make money with than most sites, because of the downloads needed (larger bandwith than most sites).

There is also a lot of competition, certainly in the ClipArt area - I know of one site (forget the URL) that charges for membership to get hold of their full catalogue. Perhaps you could sell your graphics online (it probably depends on what kind of graphics you have).
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are probably thinking of http://www.arttoday.com, the bright side is they have a free trial.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carolyn, I am the webmaster of a fairly successful Free Web Graphics Site. http://www.freewebtemplates.com Its tough to start but once you have a good visitor base the bucks can start to add up very quickly. I try to run pay per lead ads geared toward webmasters and usually they do very well. CJ.com has several good webmaster programs to promote. Just with those ads i average 50-80 bucks daily. I think its worth the hassle. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Doni
    ICQ 18216690
    aim wwwadonis
    Doni Ronquillo
    Need Free Website Graphics
    http://www.freewebtemplates.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doni,

Your reply is just what I needed to hear! I needed to know that you can make money from a free graphics site from someone who actually is! Do you make money from selling advertising or do you just make money from pay per click kind of ads? Are you planning on ever selling graphics?

Thanks,
    Carolyn

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be distributing custom made graphics like buttons, banners, headers and interfaces, you could think of putting together a CD.

Most Manufacturers will burn CD's for you at an average of $1.00-$6.00 a disc depending on volume. Or if you have a really good burner and make your own labels you can do it yourself for $1.00 to $3.00 a disc depending on disc quality.

Sell the discs for $20-$40 and you can make a tidy sum. I personally prefer getting graphics like this because they are:

1) Easy to organize.
    2) Less Clutter on my already full drives.
    3) No Downloading.

Another option you might think about is offering tutorials on how different graphics are made. This will bring visitors back to your pages without the added bandwidth of downloading graphics which in turn will give you a higher rate of return on your ads.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W. Luke - Good advice. I have thought about the CD idea, and probably will get into that after my site starts generating some traffic and stuff. My sister works at Kinkos and they burn CD's there, so she could do it for me if I pay for them. I am also gonna design my site in a way where I will be able to add tutorials later if I want.

Thanks,
    Carolyn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, if you want to get some good exposure, I am working on a new kids/parents site and maybe you could do our mascot for the site I was thinking of adding a new cartoon so to speak every week to the site and I would give you all the credit
    sort of like a link to your site, but with a little creativity

please email me for more info,

merle
    zgteach@sopris.net

I also have an idea where you could get paid to do this for others
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thanks for the offer. I can't really design "cartoon" kind of stuff or mascots "yet!" Hopefully in the future though. My site will consist of backgrounds, buttons to use for mouseovers, web templates, etc.

Thanks anyway!

Carolyn

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound interesting to me though.. I've emailed you Merle
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!