SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Would MCP help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without going into a boring bio of myself, I am currently at a point where I will be graduating from college this Spring with an assoiciate's degree in Web Design.

Working in a factory for the last six years has left me with little practical experiance aside from school and home projects and a short internship. I will need to start sending my resume out in the next month or so. My question is, would I be better served to set a side learning ASP and other Web development for a week or so to study for a Microsoft Certified Professional exam? What do you think MCP in general?

I was thinking of Windows 2000 Pro. It's more of an IT related training then Web, but I thought having the certification on my resume could be a big help and it would be the easiest to pass for me right now. Not to mention, I am holding off on the Web certification since most of the current tests are scheduled to be retired.
    <Edited by westmich on 01-02-2001 at 12:20 AM>
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been giving this some thought, and I really don't know whether or not an MCP is considered valuable. It couldn't hurt. One week out of your career is not much.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here goes....
    As an MCP the cert has been drawn down by everyone collecting the certification like it was candy. But when you talk about Windows 2000 the MCP is much better. The exams are not like the old ones, and passing will not be as easy as before. Be Warned! before you go a spend your money...

You realy need to have some hands on with Win 2000 to get an idea. And from what I read & Hear the exams will ask you to do some Administrative functions to see if you can. I think this is good in a way, but a friend just failed his MCT exam to keep his Cert current, and he was shocked at what they put on the test.

I know that cert is more than MCP but it's along the same lines of how the new test are written. As a Webmaster for a Corp Intranet your Skills along with and MCP rating should get you at least in the door. Yes get the Cert and proudly disply it on your Resume Good Luck
    Louis|Techie
    http://www.techieville.com
    It's About Technology & More