SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make a site chromeless

Working on an online registration site, and I need some javascript help. Basically, going back can break it at certain times, so we have decided to try and hide or disable the back button. I searched the 'net a bit and found many scripts for making chromeless popups, but I need something slightly different--I need something that will just take the chrome off once one goes to the site as it will be getting linked to from many places, some of which dont play well with js.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

WWB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First page opens up a popup without menubar etc, then the popup closes it's caller. Any popup has a reference to it's caller, accesible via 'window.opener'. So just calling window.opener.close() should do the trick.

As far as I know, you cannot alter a windows appearance after it has been created.

If, for some reason, the above only has to work in IE, then you might consider using a .hta extension, and thus writing a HTML application. This will start in a window with just a title bar straight away.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, sounds like a neat trick.

Problem is it needs to work for people with JS turned off. One other idea has come to mind--any way to trap the "buttonBack.click" event and negate it?

WWB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without JS? No chance.

Anyways, what do you expect posting it in the javascript forum?

You best try your luck in the HTML forum, but I'm about 100% sure it cannot be done in pure HTML...unless it only has to work for IE, see description above.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I was not clear. This is kind of an added bonus, but the site still needs to fundamentally work without JS.

EG: Mary comes to the site to register. Mary's has JS turned on and her back button is disabled. She can register just fine without it.

Jim comes to the site to register. Jim has JS turned off, and his back button is enabled. But Jim follows our instructions not to hit back and regesters just fine.

WWB