User Tag List

Thread: pls review my

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pls review my search engine design...

hi...
    this is my first site i actually got round to creating...
    i'm 14 years old btw...
    seems like a whole lot of 14 year olds are appearing at sitepoint (hint: koolbrian)

http://squeeky.netcabins.com/template.html

Since the rest of the site is not done yet, i just want to know what ppl think of the design... is it too colourful? I was sort of thinking of a simple look, instead of a professional look for a search engine, but it didn't seem to come out right.

So go on, take a look, take it all apart if you must, i just want a frank opinion.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're giving me little to go on. I would reccomend that finish developing the site, especially the content and reposting it for a review.

As far as what you do have, it looks fine. You may want to smooth out the corners, though, they seem a bit jagged.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Welcome! I am pleased that you chose to share your work with us. I like the look of the page. Pastels and kind of loose.

Where the curves meet the horizontal line, there is just the slightest little "bump".

I use hotdog pro to look at the code. And there are some problems. Here goes:
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">
    neither xmlns or xml is a defined element of html.

name is not an attribute of the div tag.

then there are several places where you end with /> in the code and it should just be >

The problems come down to about 4 or 5 errors but they are repeated.

Again, I do like the look of the page....very nice.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks

Come on. Give a little review. Do you like the colors?

peace

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a good start, boredboi. I like the colors, but I think you might have toooo many of them! Its best to stick with two or three main colors as your overall design. Otherwise you can confuse your visitors.

I also noticed that the lines on your main table don't connect. I'm using IE 5, Win98, 640x480 resolution to view your site.

I like your navigation menu and I like the "Squeek it!" part of your site. Look forward to seeing the full site when its completed!

Good luck!

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi boredboi, i would also welcome to you sitepoint, but im just as new as you,

I had a look at your site, and i must agree with sparkie, i think you are using to many colours, sometimes we all like to make our sites colourful and fun, but i usually like to keep my colours to a max of four.

just pick out a nice colour sceme for your site, depending on what age group you are targeting and what you are going to offer on your site, you should pick a colour sceme to fit.

and it doesnt appear to have much space for text, if your site has allot of writen content then i think you should make more room for your Main Text.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boredboi,
    I've tested this on Internet Explorer 5 for Windows and Netscape Navigator 4.7 for X. I think I'm missing something. Here's what I see:
    http://aboutpcs.com/bb.jpg
    It may be that your site relies on Javascript (which I have turned off), but whatever is messing up probably indicates low compatibility and portability between different browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry I forgot to add, I am using win2000, MSIE 5.01 @ 1024x768

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

There is a script being called.

This is a good point. Mention of the need for java script to be turned on should/ could be made on that intro screen.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all.... and thanks for your reviews...
    apparently netcabins is having some problems, so here's an alternative url...

http://squeeky.twu.net/template.html

correct me, but i thought <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"> and the "/>"s are xhtml? And i think name="" is the only way to make javascript work on netscape 4...

Has anyone noticed that i didn't use any images in my page (besides a blank one)? I was thinking of doing something different and using CSS i constructed this page totally with text and layers, so i guess that explains the dotty curves. Is this unadvisable? I just liked the thought of it.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squeaky = Speedy !

I really do like the use of CSS and no graphics for your site. Googlesque but much more attractive.

1) Lose the double-exclamation on the button
    2) Drop the menu font down a point size, it is conflicting with your (very hip) logo
    3) I might lose the bottom orange line on the logo
    4) Too many colors.. make the two navigate boxes the same and that might do it
    5) You're gonna kick *** with a year or two experience
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi there,
    here are a few of my own thoughts about the site:

1. For a young'un it's darn impressive :)
    2. Logo is good - but you need to antialias those curves around the 'S'
    3. as 'overgrow' says lose the double exclamation marks...
    4. Not too sure what the site's about myself (ie. in terms of content - what's it about?)
    5. the comments beside the copyright notice seem unecessary... but hey it's your site, so you can do whatever you want i suppose ;)
    6. Like with the curves around the 's' - most of the curves on the borders also need to be antialiased.

hope that helps.

regards,
    J.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design alot and I think the colors are good. The only thing that I can say that hasn't already been said is what's the box for? And how will people know what "Squeek it" means? I wasn't sure if those were search tools or not. Same thing for the Help button - (I assume it was a Help button.) And what's the difference between that and a "normal search"?

I like the layout; the curves are refreshing versus a boxed layout. I think once you begin to enter your content, it will all balance out just nicely.

I'm not sure if it's just my eyes after a long hard day or not, but the fonts that you have in bold all seem blurry or unfocused in some places.

I agree. A bit more experience, and you're gonna be a major player in the design field.

Kell
    Lighthouse Design Group
    Better Websites...By Design

www.lighthousedesign.net