SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of Google's PageRank Algo?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is a joke

26 27.66%
  • It's not fair

17 18.09%
  • it's outdated

19 20.21%
  • it's the best thing to ever happen to the web

32 34.04%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to beat Google - a proven case study

How to beat Google – Why the PageRank Algorithm is a joke

Ever thought you might like to boost your ranking from a PageRank of 5 to 8 overnight? Would you like your site to be as popular as MSN or even Yahoo? With a little hard work, and following the example set below by VacationRentals.com, you can be amongst the most important sites on the net and beat Google at their own game.

For years Google has prided themselves on the fact that their PageRank algorithm provides democratic search results and often brags about their staff of PhD’s who continuously work to bring the most “democratic” results to the web. For about the same amount of time webmasters for obvious reasons have worked equally as hard trying to stay atop Google’s efforts to exploit the index for its own gain.

For the most part the system works pretty well. However when the stakes are high enough. Someone always finds a way to beat Google. In this article we would like to thank VacationRentals.com for showing us the way to beat Google at their own game, and get away with it, as it seems Google does not have a way to combat these tactics yet.

VacationRentals.com set out to score high for the very competitive term “vacation rentals”. Overnight they went from being at near the bottom of their category in the Google Directory to the very top. They secured the #3 position for their most competitive term (vacation rentals) and they have also been able to successfully beat Google at many other keywords. How did they do it? It’s all in understanding PageRank and how to manipulate and manufacture incoming links and thus site popularity.

The bottom line is that the more incoming links you have the better. Now there is a lot out there on the Internet on how to boost your link popularity. You can trade links with other webmasters, you can join link farms, you can start an associate program to name a few. But these will often only garner a few hundred incoming links. In the case of VacationRentals.com this was not enough to score a top position for their main keyword “vacation rentals”. The solution and surefire way to beat Google lay in simply manufacturing literally thousands of incoming links. It worked like a charm and for months now they have enjoyed top rankings in Google WITHOUT PENALTY. Yes, that is right folks, WITHOUT A PENALTY FROM GOOGLE.

The first thing VacationRentals.com did was to create similar websites on different IP addresses with different host names that appeared to offer unique and original content. They used differing IP addresses to help mask the fact that these sites were all on the same host from Google. For example… there main site VacationRentals.com offers vacation properties all around the globe (IP address 216.136.21.10). They then registered dozens of domain names that were tied to popular areas and built what appears to be similar sites (such as floridavacations.com, greatvacations.com, mexicovacations.com to name a few). The chart below gives an example of just a few of these sites.

Vacationrentals.com - 216.136.21.10
    Floridavacations.com - 216.136.21.11
    Mexicovacations.com - 216.136.21.12
    1001vacationrentals.com - 216.136.21.13
    hawaiianvacation.com - 216.136.21.15

On each of these sites, they linked to the home page on their main site in the footer of each page. The combined PageRank of these additional sites helped to feed the PageRank of their main site, as well as each of the satellite web sites. Operating the site in the background and then pushing out similar content on what appeared to be a different site was a sneaky way to successfully manufacture PageRank, not to mention a nice way to fool Google into widening the net for capturing traffic. This tactic has been at work for over a year with great success and NO PENALTY FROM GOOGLE FOR DUPLICATE CONTENT.

However, this tactic is hardly new… what truly sets VacationRentals.com apart from everyone else is what they did next. Vacation Rentals registered literally hundreds of domain names, most of these domain names being a popular misspelling of a likely keyword someone would type into a search. A few examples include… “peoms.com”,
    ”tranlate.com”, “loasangeles.com” and hundreds of others. You can do a Google back link trace to see more, there is also a list at the bottom of this article for your reference which lists a few more; however it needs to be said that the true number is unknown, it could be in the thousands.

Each of these bogus sites was then padded with what appears to be junk directory listings provided by an associate program to look like a topical search site. After the junk directory links, they created a random blob of text which is keyword rich and for the most part, complete nonsense. That is to say utter nonsense to a human being, but absolute keyword rich gold to Google which is always looking for content. An example of this bogus content can be found below from “tranlate.com”:

Snip <<<
    We link up with the free translations that have the free online language translation and the translate translator with multiple languages down so the translate dutch english or the norwegian translation that gives you the gaelic translation will be very accurate. We have the online thai translation that will give you the online language translator for the hawaiian translations and many more.
    >>> end snip

As you can see, the text is complete nonsense and exists for one purpose only, and that is to provide keyword rich text for Google. It works like a charm by the way.

Perhaps in their most brilliant move, and the purpose for these fake web sites… VacationRentals.com added a link at the bottom of every one which states “For more on vacation rentals click here”. These links being strategically placed include their top keyword, and when you add them up, it equates to MASSIVE MANUFACTURED INFLATED PAGERANK WITHOUT PENALTY.

By doing the above for literally hundreds of bogus domain names (maybe thousands), VacationRentals.com has to the top of the Google Index, and went from a PageRank of 5 to a whopping 8 nearly overnight.

VacationRentals.com can now count themselves among one of the most important and popular web sites on the Internet, almost as popular as Yahoo and MSN themselves. This is all in thanks to Google’s PageRank Algorithm. The funny thing about this is that when I first discovered what VacationRentals.com was doing, I thought that for sure, this would garner a penalty, and Google surely would not let such an obvious attempt to SPAM them stand, however, after months of letting it stand and awarding VacationRentals.com with ever higher PageRank. It appears the Jury is out. GOOGLE WILL NOT PENALIZE FOR THIS BEHAVIOR.

So hats off to VacationRentals.com for showing us the way to finally once and for all beat Google at their own game and make Google’s staff of PhD’s look like a misfit bunch of community college dropouts. It looks like the domain name land rush is just about to begin again!

--
    as promised… a short list of the domain named mentioned above.

peoms.com/
    skateboardingshoes.com/
    lyricalrose.com/
    priate.com/
    internetcarriers.com/
    thesarus.com/
    singapor.com/
    www.nads-hair-remover.com/
    travvel.com/
    hotelfinders.com/
    gutair.com/
    skatebord.com/
    black-girls.centraltexasreunions.com/
    snowbording.com/
    www.orion.org/
    apatmentguide.com/
    internetcarriers.com/
    surveilence.com/
    www.internetsharingsoftware.net/
    wwwpoetry.com/
    thesauras.com/
    www.artbuyingnetwork.com/
    holtel.com/
    internetacess.com/
    www.hondurastravelguide.com/
    securitycamers.com/
    restaruants.com/
    freeclasifieds.com/
    internet--security.com/
    www.apfelenterprises.com/
    contries.com/
    traveljam.net/
    acclerator.com/
    unemployement.com/
    www.business-society.com/
    www.los-angeles-hotels-booker.com/
    www.classicalhitsmusic.com/
    www.pianoandkeyboard.com/
    teenpoems.com/
    http://www.greatvacationhomes.com/re...Indonesia.html
    www.activewebdevelopernewsletter.com/
    www.mexicovacations.com/mx/Xcalak-Yucatan.html
    www.submarinet.com/
    travvel.com/
    hotelfinders.com/
    http://www.floridavacations.com/fv/D...k-Florida.html
    www.cdcomposer.com/
    acsoftwares.com/
    www.dictinoary.com/
    www.internetfirewallsoftware.com/
    travil.com/
    lovepoerty.com/
    www.brennanart.com/
    www.biology-guide.com/
    freeclassifed.com/
    classfides.com/
    gutair.com/
    eletricguitars.com/
    skatebord.com/
    manchaster.com/
    jobseach.com/
    securty.com/
    securitycamra.com/
    www.ebusinessroadmap.org/
    www.miami-hotels-booker.com/
    www.citynetclassified.com/
    peotry.com/
    www.businessfirewallsoftware.com/
    famouspoetry.com/
    free-classified.net/
    gutairs.com/
    gutars.com/
    pivate.com/
    lyics.com/
    sirlanka.com/
    surveillence.com/
    basketballpictures.com/
    www.lowincomeworkingfamilies.org/
    fianance.com/
    apartaments.com/
    lerics.com/
    freedownloadmusic.com/
    www.everyonesports.com/
    spycamra.com/
    agressiveinline.com/
    inlineskateing.com/
    www.precision-glassblowing.com/
    pomes.com/
    www.sandwichma.com/
    cancoon.com/
    audiosoftware.com/
    aprtments.com/
    skatboard.com/
    penisula.com/
    www.teamstirfry.com/
    woodfarmersmarket.com/
    accelarator.com/
    survillance.com/
    www.aboutenvironmentalhealth.com/
    perennis.pathtoknowledge.com/
    www.labgeneration.com/
    dicctionary.com/
    www.3-dvideo.com/
    appartmentsforrent.com/
    hotelssearch.com/
    www.fireandicedesign.com/
    home-garden-tools.com/
    guitaretabs.com/
    internetmarketinguk.com/
    www.movingrightnow.com/
    www.dtex-investigative.com/
    finacialplanning.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the question is "Does Google have the legal right to ban vacationrentals.com?" Well, yes they are a privately owned company, they can do what they like. Scary.

SitePoint Evangelist rockyracoon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this crap? Talk about shady ethics with a side of spam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyracoon
    What is this crap? Talk about shady ethics with a side of spam.
    Exactly, I hate these kind of companies. It bugs me when I'm searching for something, and I get one of their crap pages
    Dennis Pallett - NoCertainty - My Personal Weblog
    The Web Network: ASPit | PHPit | WebDev-Articles
    Blogs: TalkFones | Holidayzer | PHPit Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know... in my job (costarica-travelinfo.com) you can see we have 30+ sites... same layout, different content and we are in position 40+... we where in the first 5 before. In my case we are using different content so I don't think its spamming... in fact we have more sites that change completely... but for some reason we are not relevant to google anymore.

Check this out: rental car in costa rica (one of the most searched words for rental car in this area)... we were #6... no we are far away 40+.

Take a look at the first result... no words, no info... redirect.

I don't think this is Google's last biggest change... they need to correct this... a lot of results are inacurate.
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I still don't see why this company is different than any other company doing it..

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This example just shows how someone beat the system...and someone always beats the system. No matter what formula someone comes up with someone will exploit it to their gain. Once Yahoo and Microsoft come out with their new search engines there will be a mad scramble to exploit them as well.

As far as I'm concerned, my hat goes off to vacationrentals.com. They've done what most webmasters wish they could do. This is a cat an dmouse game. This is just an example of the mouse not being caught yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Enthusiast askewlemming's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thousands of domains * $5/yr to buy number three ranking? you sure beat the system.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by askewlemming
    thousands of domains * $5/yr to buy number three ranking? you sure beat the system.
    when you consider they have signed up over 10,000 people at $96 bucks a year ($960,000). I Would argue that it was a bargain.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    This example just shows how someone beat the system...and someone always beats the system. No matter what formula someone comes up with someone will exploit it to their gain. Once Yahoo and Microsoft come out with their new search engines there will be a mad scramble to exploit them as well.

As far as I'm concerned, my hat goes off to vacationrentals.com. They've done what most webmasters wish they could do. This is a cat an dmouse game. This is just an example of the mouse not being caught yet.
    yes this is true, however, how often are you handed a shining example of how to successfully spam something like Google and get away with it. Let't not forget that Google's current reach across the net is unlike anything MSN, Yahoo, or any other search has achieved. Figure out how to successfully SPAM Google, and you are good to go for some time... I don't see any real competition on the horizen which will lessen Google's reach any time soon.

Anyhow, I am just the messenger, what I have posted is actual proof of how to successfully spam Google, which is more than what I see other people posting, which always leads to more confusion and uncertainty in how to ganer a good ranking on Google.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_gersitz
    Yeah, I still don't see why this company is different than any other company doing it..
    I challenge you to show us another company that has assulted the PageRank Algorithm on a scale that this one has. Have you looked at some of those sites linked above... tried to make sense of the keyword jibberish on those sites?

What they have done is quite different.

root
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is fill out a spam report with Google and that could be the end of that company's pagerank. Using keyword spam and doorway pages is against their TOS and can get them totally dropped from google.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beatgoogle
    However, this tactic is hardly new…
    Quite right - none of this is particularly new. Anyone with SEO experience has seen something like this before - only even more so.

The simple fact is that many people try and beat Google - but not all of them succeed. And many of them succeed only to a smaller extent.

The time and effort involved in such an enterprise are entirely related to the competitiveness of the keywords being sought.

I can assure you that in other keyword areas VacationRentals looks like small fish.

Bottom line - if it pays to do it, someone will.

Btw - a final point - every single one of those URLs posted will now benefit from sitepoint PR. LOL!!!
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing findings, thanks for sharing :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to ask, how smart is it to allow somebody to publish a case study about your questionable promotion techniques?

GOOGLE WILL NOT PENALIZE FOR THIS BEHAVIOR
    Google will penalise any sites it believes are spamming the system.

Trying to deceive (spam) our web crawler by means of hidden text, deceptive cloaking or doorway pages compromises the quality of our results and degrades the search experience for everyone. We think that's a bad thing.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersj
    Google will penalise any sites it believes are spamming the system.
    Unfortunately, it has been noted for some time that a lot of sites get away with it. Google apparently likes to automate spam sites out, rather than manually. Until the algo is necessarily tweaked, then the spam stays in for some time.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, don't let that stop you making spam reports. It's only with this information that google will ever be able to effectively crack down on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I challenge you to show us another company that has assulted the PageRank Algorithm on a scale that this one has.
    ok, start at http://087.us
    then click a link (whichever) and look at the bottom. keyword rich links to 076.us
    click again, look at the bottom
    keyword rich links to 093.us
    etc.etc.etc.

For the past few weeks they've been bothering my search results many (and i do mean many) times.
    But where are they today ?
    Page Rank 0, out of SERPs, in a word, banned.

By the way i wouldn't say it's a flaw in the Page Rank algorithm. Would you create thousands of pages, if you don't have incoming links (i mean real ones) they will all have a poor PR (at least never enough to get to PR8). The problem, if there is a problem, is in the balance between PR and other factors such as keyword anchor text. If you find a "not so competitive" keyword and bring in tons of keyword anchor text links, you'll be high. But then you'll need many search terms to make it worthless, and if you go too far like those did you'll be reported.

Hear me, i don't say that the report / anti spam stuff works perfectly, far from it, and especially with the last update in mind. Plus some highly visible sites reported many times are still spamming in some way (and visited by bunches of seo by the way). Just i don't think it's a PR flaw, more some balance not yet found in the algo parameters.

Problem is when you think you find a balance, people can find exploits and cheat it, so you have to tweak it permanently. Kinda what's happenning don't you think ?

Quentin
    The largest message boards on the web !
    unblog.fr, hosting 700000 french blogs

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The casino and porn industries, specifically those controlled by mafia, have automated this process entirely including actually spamming sites, gathering emails and generating email spam.

Completely automated systems built for millions of dollars which do all of this far better than VacationRentals does I'm sure.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very disappointing that this works.

So, what's a good way to counteract this abuse?
    Manually banning sites that use this sort of monkey-business seems like one way to do it, but it also seems like that would require a lot of hands-on attention.

How do you stop this sort of spam automatically?
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    How do you stop this sort of spam automatically?
    Keep tweaking that algorithym!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One instant change Google could make is to deactivate the Google toolbar; of course then seo's would go back to optimizing all search engines and manipulating PR would be more difficult. If Yahoo and MSN were to introduce a similar toolbar that had an "importance scale" (ie PageRank) seo's would fall into their traps too.

The Google toolbar has seo's so mesmerized that it has both contributed to its success and made it easier for people to manipulate rankings.

I say, remove the goddamed thing, cast into Mount Doom if neccessary

SitePoint Addict Patrick Taylor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're so clever, how come their website looks like a used fish?

(Gosh, I've just noticed - I became a SitePoint Zealot)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each of these bogus sites was then padded with what appears to be junk directory listings provided by an associate program to look like a topical search site. After the junk directory links, they created a random blob of text which is keyword rich and for the most part, complete nonsense. That is to say utter nonsense to a human being, but absolute keyword rich gold to Google which is always looking for content. An example of this bogus content can be found below from “tranlate.com”:

Snip <<<
    We link up with the free translations that have the free online language translation and the translate translator with multiple languages down so the translate dutch english or the norwegian translation that gives you the gaelic translation will be very accurate. We have the online thai translation that will give you the online language translator for the hawaiian translations and many more.
    >>> end snip
    I wonder if there's a similar tactic behind some of the spam I've been receiving lately:

Subject: advisedly hotel

[picnic.jpg] schemes hottest crease activism memorization adjust mayoral creased termwise terrorizing
    adiabatic temper microseconds hygiene polysaccharide illegally admonishing bracing meiosis hydra
    adulterously pleat barnhard satisfactions evaluates hostelry coulomb

materials cot expertise playtime illuminated bootleger polygon berwick messily howsomever boyhood
    bantu metamorphose scarce booked scatting popularized bogged aaas creeds that criticism bounded
    polygon poppies cowry illustrator

cosines seamstress exhibits crabapple matrimonial aubrey hydrangea hygroscopic popcorn second
    temptress abe adagios acquaints andean mercer boot arturo taps excessive crock populating creche sears
    bonnets hustled corroboree

scratch bookend savored sarcasms boyar teletypes evaluates excursus crochets exodus host crossed
    scramble seamy couched excruciate coupled menfolk tapped scrupulously exported executes crossarm
    immemorial tainted addressograph exchanges

temporarily posting beauregard exemplary breaking mecum accessing exogamy blinn illegitimate
    experimental pollinate poi accusative bowler bracing telephony bouncing euphoric the polysaccharide
    hopefulness horridly angela cranny pleading sears

blenheim belgrade humoring terraced metallurgist bootlegged popularizing pottery scud alvin
    accommodate pontific athabascan playful creeper temptingly addicts bleeker households polymer plush
    schools exist boston tempered screechy excels

microprogrammed eviction accordions mechanic metalanguage boring blackwell hungry aquila criminally
    terminations count accumulation boot teams exasperated accustomed telegraphy explainable bluntly
    braids how expletive metaphorical acadia ethyl taxpayers