SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard dragonfly_7456's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Role Playing Game in PHP

I am sort of a noOb to php programming. I've been studying other codes for a while now, but I'm still no where there.

I was hoping to make a sort of role playing game for my website in php coding. I've seen it done before...

So, what I really want, is for you guys to just suggest me a few places where I could get started (Internet I mean, of course). I need a couple of sites with php and mysql basics. And then, ANYTHING at all that is related to making a kind of rpg system for a website.

Thank you all for your time.
    Content Writing Service - Get custom SEO articles for 10$

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The core of your game will be AI. AI, from a progrommatic point of view, will boil down to tons of if/else loops and switch/case parameters. I've thought about something like this too, but it's almost like you'd have to develop some kind of algorithm for factoring AI and that will be very tough.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch... Any places on the web where I could at least get a head start in the right direction?

Where should I even start? I'm lost... :|

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not actually sure though have you searched AI using for example C or Java ?

You've proberly more chance of finding something on AI with these 2 rather than PHP; What you do find, then read up on it and port it over to PHP ?

This is how I'd go about finding something or other if it's not directly related to PHP ?

Also try searching Mathematics and Phisics which would proberly have more on developing AI algorithms no ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the AI algorithm would be really, really, REALLY hard to do. You say you're new to PHP, so you probably won't even want to try it. I can't even imagine how people would go about doing an AI with any programming language.

And anyway, you'll want to learn C++ and Java for these kinds of things, like making games and stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo what BlueFire said, this isn't something that a beginner should try. Even I wouldn't look forward to doing it
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone. I am not only thinking about short term study. I might end up studying programming in a university, so I'm just looking up stuff that I like every now and then, and seeing where that goes... I think I should post in that other "career" forum, but I hope you guys don't mind.

I like making games. Especially rpg games. What languages should I study? C++ and JavaScript sounds like the basis of most game programming. Right? What other languages might I look into?

Another question, how hard is it to convert c++ to php if you know both languages very well?

Ah, let me rephrase what I ment in the first place about what I want to make. I have a site, but its a forum (Invision power board). I wanted to make a kind of rpg system where members could buy weapons, equip them (And increase their stats when doing so), and then either battle each other, or go into single training. Its been done. And it shouldn't be too hard because only a tiny portion of it would be controlled by AI (Like, what attack the computer opponent uses).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    The core of your game will be AI. AI, from a progrommatic point of view, will boil down to tons of if/else loops and switch/case parameters. I've thought about something like this too, but it's almost like you'd have to develop some kind of algorithm for factoring AI and that will be very tough.

Aaron
    Off Topic:

Hi Aaron,

It might take more than a lot of if/else loops and swtich/case parameters. Luckily, Dr. Wallace has already done a good job creating AIML, which is a markup language used for AI. Alicebot can be used for a lot of interesting applications. A few years ago I toyed with it for a few months. You basically find out what kind of queries users are making to the bot, then program responses based on topical conversation.

I came across this thread and I thought I would point this out because I found AIML to be very interesting. Perhaps you or somebody else will, too.

/johnny

SQLZoo | ZVON Xlab
    May the Source Be With You
    When the app is ready, the oop will appear...

PHP manual bot bronze trophy Gaheris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C++ and JavaScript sounds like the basis of most game programming.
    Not sure how JavaScript got into your mind, it hasn't got anything to do with it. Anyway, RPG kann mean totally different things. Like some small browser played 'build your town and attack other players' game or a complex intense computer game with real time graphics and AI.

If you're talking about real games then you should first get a good grasp of C++, as it still is the most used programming language for games, so you will find most obooks and articles using it. That actually should occupy you for some months or even years. Then you could start buying books about game programming, books about graphic programming and math, articificial intelligence and so on.

See GameDev.net, flipCode.com they have some good information about getting into this business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!