SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web Design was the simplest way I could find to combine my love of graphics and design with my scientific/computer love.

Not to mention it was a good way out of becoming the psychologist I discovered I didn't want to be after starting a Psychology degree.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people choose to build websites is like asking why some people are newspapermen, publishers and writers. For me i think the web is a medium that puts the power of expression into the hands of all of us. Before the web, you need to pay heavily to have a four page newsletter printed and you will have to sell everything you have to do color printing.

Building web sites is like coming to be part of a strategic business sector such as the petrol and mining. It's adapting to the waves of our changing world because building web sites is the same as becoming a radio or television proprietor. In short a positive way, to do positive things, quickly and without much hassle and to reach an international audience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webdesigning is as much of an art as it is a hobby (to me, although the line between them is quite thin ).

And to be honest, designing webpages is fun... sometimes I go to sleep with a great idea, barely being able to sleep because I want to wake up and work on it.

hehe. hope that was coherent... i'm about to crash out :/

(No seriously, it's for the sex, drugs, and money :-D)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies. I have begun the article, and it is looking good so far.

Any additional comments are still appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    Let me know when you complete your article =)
    thanks
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Web design allows me to be creative. It's a lot of fun. It's my work and also my hobby. I enjoy developing content and building sites that people use and find resourceful. Being able to say I'm a Web designer and/or Webmaster also sounds cool.
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wed designing, it's the learning. As my mother says, you're addicted to learning. I love to learn. And there is no end to learning on the NET. If you know PHP and MySQL, then learn ASP and MSQL, then learn Coldfusion. HTML, Java, JavaScript.

I also love the money, and the challange. It's a love of everything computer related!
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, it's the learning for me, too. I got hooked when I realized I was learning something new just about every day. Now, there's a lot to do, so it's more like learning something new every few days, but that's not bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young I loved to build and draw. I got a computer pretty early but didn't have any games. All I had was MS paint. But that was enough. It was a really cool program and after I learned to make web pages and PSP ( at the same time approx ) I thought it was so fun that I kind of made it a hobby of mine.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the very first time, because i was on IRC and saw some people talking about some tripod/geocities/etc personal homepages and i was feeling that i would always be just a normal user of the Internet if i didn't have one too, instead of the role, as little as it would be, that i always want to have in everything. After 1 year of personal homepage-ing, all experiments in HTML were done (except forms because i never needed them), so i had to concentrate on graphics & content. Blogger allowed me to put content whenever i felt the need to without editing the files, so here i went with it for my personal page.

Then i got a job of webmaster/designer/developer in an association, it's not paid so well, but it's the first time i cope with a website just for money.
    And i'm starting to like it when money comes
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reasons why i build web sites.

1)My girlfriends parents are rich. So i have to do something intelligent so that her parents won't persaude her to dump me. It's smart to marry into a rich family, especailly if your girlfriend is hot.

2)Anybody can make a website all you have to do is take the time to learn some basic HTML code,learn dreamweaver4,and some graphic editing programs. And bingo you can put up some pretty nice looking site. But the beauty of it is most people think that you spent so much time and thought into your coding so that you can charge pretty much any amount that you want depending on how big your porfolio is.

I started web designing 1yr ago and i have already made $20,000. If you want to make money you have to be cocky. Find some older customers that have their own local business and know nothing about computers. That way they won't bug you about your design methods and you can pour on about how many man hours you spent on it.

3)plus it always helps to have your girlfriends parents know someone who owns a web design company. My suggestion is that you stopping saying "it's just a part time hobby" but instead say "i'm a web developer" It is really nice to work out of your home, sippin on coffee and smoking a dart while making sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by phiphtine
    The reasons why i build web sites.

1)My girlfriends parents are rich. So i have to do something intelligent so that her parents won't persaude her to dump me. It's smart to marry into a rich family, especailly if your girlfriend is hot.
    LOL! Way to make a first impression at SitePoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    At the very first time, because i was on IRC and saw some people talking about some tripod/geocities/etc
    You knew about IRC before you knew how to make a website? that interesting to me