SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have created a web site that is meant to be an archive for short stories, poetry and fanfiction. There are also guides for writers and a list of contests with info about the prizes and criteria.

The site has not been officially launched, but I would like to get some feedback on the deisgn and the concept of this site. I would appreciate submissions for the archive, if possible so I can get started.

I would also like suggestions on how I would promote the site and encourage contributions.

Imagination Destination

I registered a domain name for the site, but it was through one of those **** free registration services. (DomainZero)
    <Edited by vector_matrix on 12-31-2000 at 10:54 AM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi vector matrix

Good to hear from you again. And it looks like a great site.

I like the logo. I like the banner. I like the menu. The date font could be a bit more clear. The site tour is a good idea, and you folks do it well so it is a great idea.

Is membership free? If so, it may help the Member login sign up thingy.

Same for the newsletter.

I tried to navigate the entire site and did not get the feeling of always knowing exactly where i was. So I would recommend a map of the site.

You have so much information that some visitors may not realize that what they are looking for is right there.

peace

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a 404 error... << This is not a review.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get a 404 error... << This is not a review.
    Sorry about the error. The link I embeded was the wrong URL, but my signature had the right one. I edited my original message so that the links will work now. Thanks for telling me about the problem.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that people are not too interested in this site.... based on the number of times this thread has been read it would seem that nobody is even bothering to look at the site.

Based on the amount (lack of) feedback I have recieved, should I assume that people are not interested in a web site for creative writing?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vector,

Here are my opinions, The logo looks nice but the edges of your fonts are kind of rough and the grey text is very light, it may be hard to read on some monitors such as my laptops screen.

On the home page the choice of colors is not that great. I like the black, blue, grey, yellow and white scheme. but the green and light blue in your main tables kinda throws it off. The two header images serve no purpose you could easily recreate that with text, and it would look alot smoother and load faster.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

Doni
    Doni Ronquillo
    Need Free Website Graphics
    http://www.freewebtemplates.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Doni FN
    Vector,

Here are my opinions, The logo looks nice but the edges of your fonts are kind of rough and the grey text is very light, it may be hard to read on some monitors such as my laptops screen.
    I think some people have commented on dotty edges for the graohics I used on a different web site, but I'm not quite sure what they are referring to. The text used in my graphics were anti-aliased (Using Flash 4.0) to create smooth looking edges... so I'm a little suprised that people have been seeing flaws on the edges.

When you commented on 'grey text' I can only assume you meant the source info line on my Moreover newsfeed. I made the text grey because it is unimportant info that just makes the page seem too cluttered when it is the default black colour.

If something is in small print and lighter that the rest of the text on the site I would like to think that people would realize that it is not important for them to read - compared to the big bold text in brighter colours.

Originally posted by edshuck

I tried to navigate the entire site and did not get the feeling of always knowing exactly where i was. So I would recommend a map of the site.
    When you click on a link it is highlighted so that you realize that you are actually in that area of the site. I thought that this would be a reasonable way of navigating the site, but I guess I will need to have some sort of header so that people have a better idea of their position on the site.

Is membership free?
    Yup.

Thanks for the feeback.