SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This time I am trying something a bit different. I have made a personal web site I am hoping people will want to re-visit. The goal was to make it funny and thoughtful.

I want to know what people think of the content, the design and possibility of recieving return visitors.

The Vector Matrix Realm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting site...

Firstly, the graphics have dotty edges...
    Also, the design looks a bit plain for a personal site.

Since its a personal site, user friendliness is not such a big issue and u can afford to add some decorations.
    (Lines, circles... see http://www.coolstop.com/bestof/main.html for inspiration, they have lots of really good personal sites there)

You might consider creating a newsletter, informing your suscribers abt new content... that should increase the return visitors...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by boredboi
    Interesting site...

Firstly, the graphics have dotty edges...
    Also, the design looks a bit plain for a personal site.

Since its a personal site, user friendliness is not such a big issue and u can afford to add some decorations.
    (Lines, circles... see http://www.coolstop.com/bestof/main.html for inspiration, they have lots of really good personal sites there)
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why you think the graphics have "dotty" edges but I can see why you would think that the design is a bit plain. I am not exactly the greatest artist in the world and I don't have photoshop at the moment so I have been trying to create graphics and layouts that have an interesting design. I thought the the logo and animated header would look kinda cool, but it would seem that you do not feel the design is interesting enough.

I am open to suggestions and I will try to experiment with adding more colour to the site to get rid of the excess "white space". I will also try to use graphics as links for the navigation.

However I am also interested in hearing comments about the theme of the site and the content. I realize that I am setting myself up for criticisms (eg: "go back to making web portals you no talent hack") but I am trying to make something somewhat unique and if people don't like it I want to know what I could do to make it more appealing ...assuming that my web site can be salvaged.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that the design is a bit plain and simple for a personal page, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Plain and simple is just perfect for a personal page like this. I also agree the the graphis look kind of grainy and distorted. Maybe it has something to do with the software you used to make the images. Not much content, but I guess that comes with time. I didn't like the pop-ups, although I understand you are using free host. Nice Job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a chance to quickly look through your site. Overall, I like the design, but would reccomend a couple of changes. Include some type of navigation below the homepage. Maybe link the what's new and main pages on the left.

Also check the first line of the about this site page.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. (that's a compliment)

Design-wise: I don't think you need any commentary at all. It's a great job. Definitely not your typical personal site. I especially like the animated header and the use of multi-colors in your text links. Navigation couldn't be simpler. I do think the overall look has a 'commercial' feel to it, though. Nothing 'personal' implied at all until the visitor actually jumps in.

Content-wise: Even though much of your text is clearly 'work-in-progress' it hints at your sense of humor and I might come back just to see what you end up with. However, the 'Opinions' and 'xxx/fantasy' links DO imply some sexist and/or sexual content. Only because I am intrigued by good design and design-ideas, did I not run in the other direction to avoid seeing anything offensive.

I was both amused and relieved.

On another note, although I fully understand the benefits of free hosting, the size and frequency of your hosts' pop-up window and ads is more intrusive than any I've ever seen.

All in all, I enjoyed your site.

MSeon
    http://seongallery.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think the overall look has a 'commercial' feel to it, though. Nothing 'personal' implied at all until the visitor actually jumps in.

However, the 'Opinions' and 'xxx/fantasy' links DO imply some sexist and/or sexual content. Only because I am intrigued by good design and design-ideas, did I not run in the other direction to avoid seeing anything offensive.

[/B]
    When creating this site I was a bit worried about the 'commercial' style of the design. However, I am so sick of goofy looking homepages that were designed using Tripod templates and have things like....here are pics of my dog Fluffy.

But I also realize that there are other ways to make my site more personalized while retaining a professional style. Based on the feedback I have recieved so far, I will try to use more graphics and colours to give the site a more exciting 'look' to be consistant with the purpose of the site.

However, the 'Opinions' and 'xxx/fantasy' links DO imply some sexist and/or sexual content. Only because I am intrigued by good design and design-ideas, did I not run in the other direction to avoid seeing anything offensive.

[/B]
    I deliberately hinted towards politically incorrect opinions to stimulate interest in the site. I would never include blunt statements of sexism, but I plan to have articles related to the double standards of 'women's equality' and my concerns about the lack of values in teen culture. I realize that some of this stuff may anger some people (which is sort of the point - eg: Howard Stern) but I would like to think that my comments with debating issues instead of making general statements with no justification...all women are this....and all teenagers are that....

I am still not sure if I will pursue this aspect of the site, but I would like to think that people are allowed to express their opinions (especially on the internet) if they are intended to be thoughful and objective.

I appreciate the feedback for my site and I will try to consider current and future suggestions.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site .. nice layout .. I have never seen a personal page that looked like Yahoo! .. Something that bothered me right off was the 'Last updated ' on every page. I truthfully don't think people really care when the last time it was updated .. espcally when you have on the front page what is new. Why not just post what is new on the front page when you update?

I am not sure if I like the animation.. it's kinda of iratating. Personaly I try to avoid animation on my sites.

But over all it looks good .. and nice approach to the design.

Chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it from me, controversial content is not always a bad thing. Especially when done with the right blend of humor, sarcasm, and wit. The "user comments" and "supermodel girlfriend" remind me of my own sense of humor, so of course I like it.

Changes... run it through spell check. I noticed a couple of typos here and there. No big deal, but a site with strong opinions (even when done humorously) often attracts flaming morons who would LOVE to find fault with you over any inconsistency. And you might want to find a free host that doesn't have quiet so many popups.

I'm anxious to read more, in particular the article about women. Even as a gal, I find some of the things you listed incredibly annoying traits of some women. It sounds like it's gonna be funny!
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site looks very nice and professional. You might want to use more colors though. Try using you tables as a source of coloring.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to sum it up.... too plain
    .::KrypToniK::.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's funny that you set out to design your personal page and you designed another portal instead. It is nice and clean, I won't repeat what everyone already said about the graphics, but here are my thoughts on the overall look and UI:

1) Continuous animation is way annoying. If you want it to play more than once- run it, pause for 10 or 20 seconds, run it again. Not sure what free software has good timing control, but ImageReady that comes with Photoshop is the best.

2) Second table row, reduce the left <td> width by about 20 or 30, put the row it in it's own table if you have to, that way your right side text comes a little more towards the left of the page and the wireframe won't be so boxy. Right now your left "anchor" side has too much white space and the text is not held on to the page-- it's easy to lose your line as you read across.

3) A quick jump javascript select box would do wonders for the navigation under the 1st level. Or give us all of the subheadings in small linked text spaced out across the bottom of the footer.

4) Left side news needs to be linked to appropriate pages.

5) Copyright footer shouldn't be Roman.

Nice work, thanks for sharing-- post again when you have a new version.

<Edited by Overgrow on 01-04-2001 at 02:59 PM>
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with most people here saying that it is a personal site, liven it up some, and give it some color.

The animation on the top is cool, but it running over, over, and over again does get a little annoying. (I agree with Overgrow).

One thing I don't like is once you click away from the main page, there is no menu to go to another page, you would have to go back to the home page, and then go to another page.

You could do something cool like a DHTML drop down menu, or something like that. Using a menu would bring some color into your site, and the menus are all around cool.

You forgot to put a font tag around "Haasim Mahanaim 2000" on the footer of the page.

There's my opinion, you can either take it, or reject it...
    Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by WebMasterAJ
    One thing I don't like is once you click away from the main page, there is no menu to go to another page, you would have to go back to the home page, and then go to another page.

You could do something cool like a DHTML drop down menu, or something like that. Using a menu would bring some color into your site, and the menus are all around cool.
    I realize that it must be annoying habing to always go back to the home page to, but if I ever make changes to the areas of the site I would have to go back and change all of the pages. It just seems more efficient to have all of the links on the main page so I can easily make changes. I am sure there is probably a way to use templates so I would have to change all of the pages individually, but I don't know how to do it.

I know my web site seems a little plain and I am really trying to come up with something a little bit more interesting. I think I could probably do something pretty cool using Flash, but then people would complain about incompatibility issues.

I will try to deal with my artistic limitiations and try to create a visually appealing home page. If anyone has some suggestions for colours of effects I could use for the design I would be very grateful.