User Tag List

Thread: Valid CSS?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valid CSS?

I validated a css style sheet at w3.org for a website I'm making, nhl.josiahmackenzie.com, but when I view it in Netscape and IE, it shows up differently.

>> Netscape follows all the CSS guidelines except limiting the width on the main content body to 550 px.

>> Internet Explorer doesn't do anything except the links and the width on the content body.

Why the failure in displaying properly if it is valid CSS? (I used the stylesheet http://www.josiahmackenzie.com/includes/styles.css) I have the latest browsers.

Please help!

Thanks!

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because none of the latest browsers completely support valid css in a consistent way...
    welcome to the club
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What redux said is true, unfortunately we are not at the point where every browser interprets CSS in the exact same way. In fact i think that will still take quite a while.

Looking at your specific problem, you have to realize that the CSS is only half of the show, and your HTML must fit so the two work well together. As far as i am concerned, trying to use CSS to for more than visually styling tables does not work that well. If you want to take full advantage of the possiblities of CSS-postioning then get used to divs.

I don't really know why in particular Mozilla won't take the width definition for the table cell, but i think thats just the way it stretches the cells to fill the entire table. Of course you can get around that by nesting a table if need be.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would normally think that is the problem, but I tried another test and it worked in Internet Explorer. It seems that when the text is outside the TABLE tag, it works. But my site layout requires all text to be within tables. Any ideas?