SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by VirtueTech
    Hello Padders,

Yes its me

I have been looking for new ways to make the advertisers happy recently. They have been unhappy with the click through rates.

I saw someone in the past talking about depending on the amount of posts in a thread..having a banner show up half way down the thread.

So if it is a 30 post thread..the banners shows up after the 15th post.

In regards to neuads: I also noticed that the site is defnitely unprofessional. That is a big turn off.

hehe, guess who that was

In regards to pop-ups. You can use them, i see for two types of people:

i) who will never come back
    ii) who will definitely come back.

Now I run a forum, people normally fall into category i) and ii). The only people who are between are the ones who are just getting used to the place, so the plan is not to fire pop-ups at them. That is the plan. Each person is remembered by a session so I wan't to some how encorporate this into it. Not easy but possible me thinks.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by totenmaske
    then what?
    interstitials, without a doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK padders...
    this may seem like an odd question but; what exactly are "interstitial ads"...I mean I've seen them mentioned in various places but if you could spare a couple of minutes of your time and explain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Interstitials" used to be full-page ads that separated different sections of a publisher's site. For example, from a sikte's index page, you click to proceed to their forums and come across a full-page ad which features text at the bottom along the lines of "Click here to continue to the forums". This model is still supported by ContentZone, but pays only $4CPM at present.

These days, though, just about every exit popup broker refers to their product as interstitials (or "Superstitials" - Unicast/Engage). They are basicly large ads that appear 'between' pages of a website.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you Czar,

...so a good analogy then would be a traditional magazine or newspaper...pages of content seperated by pages of ads.

hmmmm...unless the Interstitial ads that where being displayed to visitors opened in new browser windows I'm not sure that would be such a keen idea for the web publisher...the idea merits thought though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much like magazines, yes, but while you tend to glance over ads in a magazine, these are more-or-less forced upon the viewer.

I have never used these personally, but imagine that they would result in a great deal of user confusion (especially if your site targets newbies), which will most likely result in fewer pageviews. Still, I know a few webmasters working within the adult industry who have used this technique to great success (the online adult industry is traditionally the fastest adopter of new revenue-generating technologies). It doesn't hurt, though, that their audience considers such content as compelling enough to warrant that extra click.

It would certainly be worth experimenting with these techniques, but I'm personally not prepared to do so for $4CPM, and I don't know any other networks that offer these spaces.
    Czar - Former SitePoint Alumni

Want to make more money from your website?
    Join Geek/Talk to find out how!