SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need for a color picker?

As part of my web scripts section (linked from my sig) I have created a DHTML color picker that can be linked to an HTML form in a very flexible manner, or set up to execute JS code on select.

I think it's fairly comprehensive in the way that it can be used, and the compatibility should be such that it works on both IE and Moz based browsers. (Safari too as far as I know)

However the response has been a bit less than what I expected - even though the script is free, I hardly see anyone make use of it.

This of course begs the question - is a color picker used often in making sites? I know that I use it in two or three places myself to allow my users to customize parts of a service I offer. (This is why I initially created it)

Has anyone created similar scripts? If so, how popular have they been among webmasters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I once made myself one just to help me develop colour schemes. You can insert it in any html page, and it'll pop up with pushing ctrl-shift-c. It lets you select an element from the page by clicking on it, and you can then adjust it's fore and background colour realtime by dragging the colour sliders. If it helps you imagine it, it looks like photoshops colour picker in HSB mode.

I've never thought about releasing it really, as I doubt much web builders will need it. I am thinking about one that will not pick a certain element though, but will read the current style sheet, and lets you chose a class/tag to change the colours of. Outputting the resulting stylesheet after editing to a div or textarea might be a tad more useful then since it'd function as a wysiwyg editor for colour schemes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting - I'd love to see this in action (as I'm having a somwhat tough time picturing it)

Yours seems to be more geared at dynamically changing the page it's used on, while I wanted to make one that would make picking a color easy for future use. (For example in my own usage, the value gets saved to a database)

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    levik,

Very nice color picker!

I googled "javascript color picker" and your script at hotscripts was about #18. That's pretty good, but keep working on your SEO so you will at least be in the top ten, which should improve your traffic.

Here's one of my color toys.