SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I hope it will turn out to be an internet revolution in the next 2 years of development, but we have a ways to go. Anyway, my site Jigga, is now up for review. I'd like to see if you guys notice any problems, if you see anything that you think should be changed, what you like, what we should do more of, the colors, etc etc etc.

Also, make sure to notice the top graphic that changes with every page views, up to 6 unique times. I would like some feedback on that as well. You can sign up, but there are still some things that don't work quite yet. We're working all of those, we don't plan on being done for a little less than a month from now, but I want to get a little Beta test going well before we release the site.

Tear the site apart as much as possible, do whatever you have to do.

http://207.254.127.81

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it a lot - it's a big improvement over your old one. However, I think the logo, while it is nice, needs a little more color and I personally think the font is hard to read. Other than that, you're well on your way!

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks great! Awesome job..

hehe, I like the lady

Looks much better then the old one..great job for being done in Fireworks..right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi jigga

It rates with the finest. I particularly liked the humor lists - you know you live in the bay area when. Got a couple more for you - pg also - but eMail if you wish.

Looking at the code, there are a few problems. In the body tag, there is a marginheight attribute that is not recognized. This is normally accompanied by a marginwidth, but that one is gone.

Then
    <input type="image" border="0" src="images/jigga2_29.gif" width="34" height="20" alt="joke search">
    width and height are not attributes of input. I see these frequently on reviews and I do not know which editor is being used to bring them in. they do not seem to cause problems with ie5 but may on earlier versions or another vendor. maybe they will never be a problem.

accessability features may increase your traffic.

Love the page. Best wishes for much success.

peace

there was one thing. can you add a button to send the url to someone else? or did i just not see it. that is how much i like it.

<Edited by edshuck on 12-30-2000 at 02:59 PM>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the logo needs to be a little more colorful. It is very good other than that.
    -Wedge231 chris@c-wod.com

AIM: chriswodman593 | ICQ: 37230642 | MSN: chriswodman@hotmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is definately a big improvemnet from your old design. Everything loads quickly, the layout is very clear and easy to use. It seems that the site now looks like a place where you can have fun. However, the concept of the site is so unique I feel that people may not feel compelled to search through the site to find out what the purpose of the site. Maybe you could have a breif stamement about the purpose of the site and even include a sample joke in the main page.

Overall, I think you have done a great job with the page and I am sure your joke mailing list is probably lots of fun, but I don't feel motivated to sign up. Maybe you could offer a some sort of prize or allow people to submit their own jokes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, we're going to include a points system, where you earn points for doing everything on the site. Actually, you do get points for doing pretty much anything on the site. You can then trade those points in once we add the feature, so that you can get things as small as $25 gift certificates all the way up to $50,000 vehicles. Of course it's nearly impossible to get the vehicles, people will try, which is a great marketing idea for us, and it will be fun to try anyway, but it is possible, and if someone does get enough points, they'll get their car, and we'll fly out, take pictures with them, and put it up on the site to show that it is possible.

but thanks for the great comments so far. I would definitely like some other ones. Also, it is possible to send the page to friends, well, it will be, but we don't have it setup quite yet. We're going to make sure this site is perfect to every aspect we can. So, any little tidbit or idea will definitely help us out. I'm going to put into the site all of the ideas so far. The color we're going to test for a little bit, but that will change every so often most likely.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it is quite good design. Perhaps you should join the left menu to the top part... I'm not really sure which would look best. That's a cool poll - perhaps you should fix it.

Down at the bottom of the page you have some links - I think you should make it part of the menu with the same colour, style, background etc.

It is very fast loading considering it looks so slick.

Finally, in some places you use a slightly different font - try and be consistent. Other than that, it's great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I need some more reviews. Anyone check out the user profiles and such? I need some good reviews on that, plus I need some good reviews on the site's usability, the signup process, and all of the main features of the members. If you are a member, please comment, or feel free to signup and comment. I want to know how everything is running. I can't test the site the same way that everyone else will, so I want as many people to try and find a major flaw as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what you already know:

1) could use a bit more color
    2) need more incentive to register

My thoughts:

1) Current Rating should be clickable whether you're logged in or not to tell you about the rating and how to change it

2) I also expected to be able to click on Current Users and see a list

3) I like the top left rotation & quotes but sometimes the quotes butt up against the word-bubble.. how about making the text inside with no anti-aliasing, that way it could be a bit smaller yet appear sharper

4) Not sure I like the dashed line as a menu divider

5) I would take the "featured links" paragraph and div-margin it in by 4 pixels on the left

Otherwise great work! Quick, clean, fairly intuitive.. a better explanation of "Jigga" would be good though.
    Overgrow the Government: The Edge Forums
    presented by Overgrow Marijuana Magazine

*warning: adult content

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, you asked, so here goes: I liked the ides, I liked the jokes, I liked the ease of navigation. What I didn't like was the graphics. The yellow and green on the $50.00 thingy were yucky. Too mustard and too not green enough. The graphics in the top left of banner were too....raw? Is that a good way to describe it. It wasn't that they weren't clear or sharp, it just rubbed me the wrong way looking at it -visceral, not visual. Especially true of the trooper patrol guys on the bad driver page.....
    Veesha
    Be your own ISP
    "Your One Source Web Solutions Provider"
    http://www.eDirectAmerica.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, now that's some good stuff. We're probably going to make the user list clickable, but obviously, we aren't quite done yet. We're also now going to consider the clicking of the rating thing to see what that's all about. I think we'll probably even have to think of some explaination for "jigga" however there really isn't one.

We'll have to take the color and graphics into better consideration and see what we can come up with. thanks a lot guys, those are great reviews. anyone else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's passe' nowadays but making your links stand out with color or underline is an easy way to prevent me from questioning whether I can click on something or not I would still expect to be able to click on it but I wouldn't get annoyed when I run my mouse on it and it doesn't link.

gettin jigga with it,

OG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear I know that old lady in the corner, that's my ex-girlfriend's mom. OK, more comments since your site is fun to browse..

1) I would expect there to be an "Advanced Search" for jokes where I can specify more options. I know, do you really need to advance your joke search technology..... but I would expect it to be there. Something simple even like giving me boolean separator choices and the ability to narrow my keyword search to one of the categories.

2) On the left menu there too many superfulous (sp) links that are "about Jigga" or "things you can do with the actual Jigga website." There are 5 links about the site and only 3 that link to content. Whether or not there are loads of levels below that content is irrelevant if your menu system looks more like you're trying to sell the site than actually make people laugh. What's the fix? I dunno, expand out the menu tree a bit for the content, show more levels of the jokes, etc.

3) Actually I feel the same way (the #2 way) about the whole front page-- too much selling of the site and not enough site.

4) How often do the top jokes rotate? The SF Bay area one isn't up anymore though it was high on the list this morning. I like that the content and photos rotate.. I do that a lot as well, gives the evidence of more of a dynamic site.

5) Definitely dress up the Featured Links at the bottom if they are your own subsites or are paying you or you actually want people to click on them. Give them some graphics or at least not the "standard blue" text link. The Knowledge Cache sounds like something a Jigger's mom would want them to visit. (Have you named your users anything yet?)

6) Have your little green guy roam around the page depending what section you're in. OK this is a pretty cheesy comment.

7) Your signup form is intimidating for a humor site and looks like it belongs on a tax advice site. Give it some attention if you want more registers. I prefer the signups that just let you enter your email address as your username and a simple password twice. Then on the next page after you've already got them hooked into the form, THEN ask for more intimate stuff. The "Contact Info" reference is a bad choice-- why would a joke site ever want to contact me? (I know you might, but it looks too formal.)

8) It might be funny if you pre-filled in the "about you" section with some randomly put together phrases like "I'm a 65 year old Olympic ping pong player. I like sinkin my buck teef into a plate of ribs before bringing home the gold for my country."

9) OK it might not be funny.

That's all for now, I'm jigga to the bone

OG