SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question SSL Questions with a graphic?

Hey everyone.

I am placing a Paypal button on my online store and I have a question. Inside my paypal code I am using a custom logo to display at the top of the shopping cart. However, when you click on the page you are prompted to answer yes or no to displaying NON secure items on the page. The non secure item is my graphic. How do I put the graphic on a SSL to eliminate this prompt? I am a reseller with Hostdime incase you need to know if they support it or not. I am not certain, but you may know.

Thanks,
    Shannon

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The graphic (and any other exterrnal file) needs to be called through the SSL cert. For instance, if you have a page at: https://domain.tld, then an image for that page should be called either as document relative (images/image.gif), or using an absolute URI such as https://domain.tld/images/image.gif.
    Using root relative (/images/images.gif) might cause it to look in a directory other than one within the secure 'path'.
    This method implies you have a cert installed on your server, and you can access it.

From your description, it sounds as though you're trying to call an image from your site, through PayPal's secure code? I dont believe that will work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No SSL cert, and it appears they cost too. Any other methods, perhaps adding lines to the add and view cart code that I could achieve this? What I have is my business name sda services displaying at my clients site, which is a sport site. I need to somehow show our association because people are curious why they are paying sda services for their sports items when the site they are at is not sda services.

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdamos
    No SSL cert, and it appears they cost too. Any other methods, perhaps adding lines to the add and view cart code that I could achieve this?
    Yes, certs cost money. I've found them as cheap as $25-50/year, however. As for adding lines to the cart code (is this a PayPal cart?), not likely. Although I haven't tried it, I believe that any image called 'through' their cert that doesn't exist on their server, within the cert 'path', will cause an error.

What I have is my business name sda services displaying at my clients site, which is a sport site. I need to somehow show our association because people are curious why they are paying sda services for their sports items when the site they are at is not sda services.
    I'm not sure I follow you here. How is your business name displaying at thier site, during the cart process? I'm guessing you're processing payments for this client through your PayPal account? I don't think that's allowed...but I could be wrong.
    Could you elaborate a bit on what you have and need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elaborate, sure.

I designed and run the site for a professional athlete. Lets say his name is Billy Bob. Well, I run Billy Bob Online. I do the bookkeeping as well. Anyway, the money comes into my account. I also have others sites I run with the same account, same business name. I jus wish there were some way I could display the association of Billy Bob Online and SDA Services to the folks using the Paypal Shopping cart at Billy Bob Online. Instead it just says SDA Services and they sometimes, not often, ask who am I and why are they paying me instead of Billy Bob.

Any suggestions?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much clearer, thanks.
    Unfortunately, the way PayPal is set up is to use the name of the account holder as the payee. This is no doubt to prevent fraud such as people faking they are someone else like Ebay or Symantec (just examples).

If you need to explain to the user why it's your business they are paying, just explain it in your site, perhaps near the link to buy, or a TOS or FAQ page.
    Sorry for the lack of an elegant solution, but I'm not sure there is one in this case. Maybe someone else has an idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, maybe one day, thanks for the replies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be able to set up different paypal account with different names & link them to the same bank account? It almost sounds like you are using an aggregator to be an aggregator yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, that is not a bad idea. Did you just call me a name? LOL