SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently been pushing my forum, promoting it etc., and I've noticed the benefits with more hits, posts etc. and it also occurred to me how I've made money with it.

I don't run my forum to make money. I use http://www.ezboard.com/ as my forum, and they are free. However, they do provide an option to pay for them to get rid of the ads. I thought about this and have decided to do it (it's not too much). I'm currently waiting for my PayPal account to clear. However, as a poor student I have little money, so I stuck a commission junction banner up to see what success it would have.

And success it had! I made enough to rid the board of EZBoard ads in three days! And here's why: we all know that a lot of banner companies won't do CPM ads on forums because of a low click-through rate. However, if you run a forum, and are part of a community, people will click on things and buy things through your link if you ask them to. This is where commission-based advertising can take over normal CPM advertising. Think about it - if Wayne recommended one of the ads on SPF then who wouldn't have faith in it?

What are you thoughts?
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, personally, will only click on an ad if the ad interests me, not if someone tells me to.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OllieO,

You are right! The number one form of advertising is word of mouth and personal recommendation. People are way more apt to buy or click if there is a personal testimony or recommendation to do so.

I would never click on the LiveHelper ad normally, but because it is at SitePoint I have visited them more than once, because I trust SitePoint's recommendation.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, personally, will only click on an ad if the ad interests me, not if someone tells me to.
    My site is for football betting. If someone is looking for a bookie, I ask them to get there via my site. People don't join up just because I tell them. Trust me, it's happened! I'm living proof!
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.