SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I designed this nice page, and I checked it out in Netscape and IE all along the way. But during the last major revision I did for some reason it won't work in Netscape GRRRrrrrr

Chuck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel. owever, after redoing my page step by step I realized Netscape isn't that bad except for the strange borders and CSS problems it has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I AGREE!! I used to be a die hard netscape fan, but have switched to IE. IE is sooo much more elegant, faster and better with features. Netscape 6 beta is the works thing ever. Very buggy and slow. IE 5.5 is the best yet.
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chuckie
    Netscape Blows !@#!
    Now how many times have I said this before.... I too was a Netscape rebel until I started developing. I only wish that they would both conform to view pages the same, no matter which one is right, just conform.
    Sesran Site Solutions - Web Site Hosting & Design

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying that a browser 'blows', because it doesn't display a page as you want to doesn't make you look like a real webdesigner. A real 'die-hard' webdesigner will make his/her site look as good as possible in every browser, even though this is nearly impossible.

And yet again, here counts again that you should keep it simple. Nobody will get happy of a very complicated page and it's also a way to deny that HTML can't be used to create complicated designs.

I agree, however, that Netscape (4.x) is far from perfect. That's the reason why I'm using Mozilla now (never wanted to use IE, I dislike that browser).

I must say that with all my sites, I've had more problems with IE rendering pages wrong than with NS.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    I agree, however, that Netscape (4.x) is far from perfect. That's the reason why I'm using Mozilla now (never wanted to use IE, I dislike that browser).
    What is there not to like about IE?
    Originally posted by Elledan
    I must say that with all my sites, I've had more problems with IE rendering pages wrong than with NS.
    That's a bit hard to believe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I must say that I remember Nicky's comment about Netscape and how much it sucks. I use to think... Geez, if they can see it in IE then why should I code for Netscape. Really you shouldn't think like that. Nicky best said it on 11-26-2000 05:49 PM
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nicky

I completely disagree with anyone who has the kind of attitude that means that if users do not comply with their inadequate inaccessible design, they have to either go along with the designer's wishes and be forced to download IE, or miss out on exploring what could be a very interesting and useful website.

I have to say that I am a frequent Netscape user and your site seems fine to me, apart from the obvious irritating fact you have tried to stop users from right-clicking!

There is actually NOTHING wrong with Netscape, or maybe because Netscape actually adhere to the strict DTD then I suppose we could call that "wrong". I mean, why should we actually applause a browser that doesn't try and corner the market via dubious tactics, invents its own rules when it comes to interpreting a pre-defined language that states tags SHOULD be closed off etc., and encourages open source code? Why should we?

If you do have problems, rather than giving up I suggest you try and use a tool such as http://www.sitemechanic.com.

Good Luck

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    Rather slow, crashes etc. And still, IE is not available to for example Linux and other unix-variants.

Sure, some like it. Some don't. But it shouldn't be an obstacle to restrict someone's access to browse a website simply because he doesn't use the latest browser available.

Not all of us own 1GHz+ computers. Think about those countries in Africa, most certainly the computer base there consists mainly computers considered junk here and thus they can't run the latest IE available :/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hmahonen
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    Rather slow, crashes etc. And still, IE is not available to for example Linux and other unix-variants.
    Actually, Netscape is much slower than Internet Explorer, at least in Windows. Without a doubt, Netscape flies in Linux/unix, but on Windows, IE is the fastest (except opera) and is more stable than all others.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE is available for Sun Solaris and the HP-UX operating systems.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often wondered why exactly Netscape made the decision to basically suck. It used to be the best..the only really good choice. It stayed that way until the 4x browsers. It's not just a matter of being compliant with standards. It's not really all that much more compliant, just more unforgiving of coding errors. That's really a good thing for web designers. Who wants errors in their pages even if they can get away with them, after all? But purely from the point of view of a surfer, that's not always such a good thing. It does drive designers nuts, though and I think they can be forgiven for having an occasional fit about NN. Lately, even some designers I know who refuse to have a Microsoft product on their computers are cursing up a storm about Netscape. Of course, you still have to design for it. It's just part of the deal.