SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Webmaster Techniques Daily news for December 29:

"What if you had to pay in order to link to another company's Website? According to Wired, the Albuquerque Journal is charging Webmasters '$50 for the right to link to each of its articles.' The charge is being implemented by iCopyright.com who the Albuquerque Journal has an agreement with, even though a senior editor claims not to know about the $50 charge. If the Albuquerque Journal or iCopyright.com ever challenged a Website linking to its articles and not paying the $50 fee, the lawsuit results could have vast implications throughout the Web as most Websites provide links to other sites as a courtesy and service."

Any thoughts on this? The Albuquerque Journal isn't the only one charging for links...
    Joe Tracy, Editor
    Webmaster Techniques Magazine (free publication for Webmasters)

author, Web Marketing Applied

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For high-income sites who do not produce their own new content, maybe, but in my case, no way! It depends on the situation.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also a Slashdot discussion on this at http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...42&mode=thread and a Wired article at http://wired.com/news/business/0,1367,40850,00.html .

I think that linking is just like telling someone the address of a building and that it has nothing to do with the owner of the building. They can't restrict you from saying "123 Maple St." even if they wanted to. I'm sure as webmasters most feel the same way...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't ever pay to link to a site. I agree with Quinn... It looks like they'd be happy to get more publicity/links.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, i i think one of their articles is interesting, i can't directly link to it ?
    But if i say "hey look at this article "[insert nme of the article]" from albuquerque, it's great" !, will i get sued ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

great topic.

with all the information on the web, is it feasable to ask for money for people to link to you?

i use links to sites, for example i link to sitepoint, several articles in the san francisco government pages and a few other places.

there is one thing i am very careful of and that is NOT containing their page inside my pages. If the viewer wants the content from the target site, i will help them get there and then i am gone until they use the back arrow or visit my page in some other way.

my thought is that they provide the content, i will not duplicate it - rather i will link to it and they get the customer. maybe.

and i am pleased to have helped.

good topic though.

peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Albuquerque and noticed that about their website a couple months back. It's pretty absurd though and not legally enforceable. My guess is iCopyright.com is just trying to get money from people that don't have much... common sense.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really stupid I think.

If someone linked to an article on my site, all it can do is bring my site more traffic, more exposure and more ad revenue. I'd welcome it! If they're not careful they could lose a lot of money this way.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a fee to link to a specific article or just to link to the site in general?

Seems to me most sites are happy for people to link to them. And as a news publication linking to an article seems no different than someone cutting it out of the paper and passing it on.

Seems awfully silly to charge. Any idea how many people have actually paid to link so far?
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!