SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Sitepoint's ads

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't help but notice Sitepoint's different ways of advertising. I found myself clicking on one of the small blurbs quite often, while I never ever clicked on a Sitepoint ad banner.

I believe these small bits of content will work much better, and I hope to apply this advertisement model for my own site too. I am wondering, how do the non-banner advertisements compare to the traditional banner ads?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint does a great job of applying targeted ads, alright. As to answer your question, text ads apparently have much higher click-thrus compared to banner ads. In most cases, regular users don't even look at banners anymore, they just scroll down to get them out of their view.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if anyone feels the same way, but SP capitalizes every instance of "free" on their site. This 1) looks a bit...stupid and 2) is a giveaway that it's an ad. For example, "Add FREE COMMUNITY to Your Site! Add FREE EMAIL to Your Site!" The capitalization is not necessary...

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint also makes it look like the links will take you to parts of their site, while what they're really doing is just redirecting you. Very good way of getting people to click, but also a little sneaky...