SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I launched my site a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't know whether it's worth the $400 to get listed in the Yahoo and LookSmart directories or not? The truth is that I did pay the money to both of them. I'm just wondering now if that was worth it or not?
    Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends - if you're accepted, it's a solid deal (assuming you're really going to follow through on the site, that is)...but there's a decent chance you won't be, in which case it is obviously not.

I'd have to make a buttload of money from my site before using the $200 submission process, however.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWT commish thanks for the answer! You can bet one thing that I'm not only following through on my site. But I'm working on it like 22 hours a day! Just look at my site at what kind of work I'm putting in. http://www.jumpondeals.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris is right in saying you need to be making a good amount of money to be able to pay $400 bucks for submission processes. These aren't crucial to getting your site listed, although it will give you a better chance than if you submit it for free. However, don't be surprised if you are rejected. Even SitePoint was rejected in Yahoo!'s submission process - and then you will feel totally rejected and angry because you wasted your money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, though I've never heard of someone paying the $200 to Yahoo and being rejected. I guess you'd have to have a pretty lame site.

OTOH, even being accepted doesn't mean you'll have a good search ranking. And I've heard of people being accepted then dropped a short time later with no appeal.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ask me, the fact that SitePoint's sites were rejected despite their paying for advanced decisions speaks volumes of the ineffectiveness of this "feature" of sorts.

They need something that will prevent against solid sites getting in simply because one person doesn't like that type of site, or perhaps holds a bias against them. You ought to have it go through several people: if enough of them approve, it's listed. Simple as that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have any problem with my site getting listed on yahoo. I wonder how was it possible for SitePoint to get rejected. There must have been some rotten apples over there in Yahoo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on the mood and attitude of the person at Yahoo reviewing your site.

This spring over at Looksmart one of their editors gave a CA based hunting club the description (as best as I can remember) "A group of men who make up for their inadquate size by killing Bambi." That description sat on the Looksmart system until a major email campeign FINALLY got them to change it. But it took weeks.

Point is, whenever you have humans reviewing sites based on their own opinion there's going to be accepted sites and rejected site that don't seem to make sense.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We publicly condemn Yahoo for refusing to list the SitePoint.com Network sites using the Business Express Service.

Yahoo could be fair by being consistent. Some of our
    competitors have multiple listings for sub-sections on
    their site, or even for individual articles. For
    example, check out:

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=webmonkey

and

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=wilsonweb

and

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=builder.com

We can't even get a listing for a site such as
    WebmasterBase.com, not to even mention individual
    tutorials such as "Building a Database-Driven Web Site
    Using PHP and MySQL" at:
    http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php?aid=228
    (which, by the way, is over 100 printed page in
    length).

What I'm saying is that if Yahoo only wants to list
    networks as a whole rather than individual sites they
    should be consistent in that policy. They can't accept
    some and reject others simply for that reason (our
    rejection notice didn't state any other reasons).
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were listed in Looksmart two months ago, but in a wrong category with a misleading description written by the reviewer. As a result we get very few hits and the visitors find different stuff from what they were looking for. I am trying to fix the error by e-mail without any success.
    Sell Online
    Attract customers with
    Magnetcommerce!
    Magnet e-commerce shopping cart software
    Powered by http://www.siteowners.com/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I'm one of the few lucky ones as far as Yahoo goes. I just submitted via the free service and they accepted me. The listing is good for 300-500 hits a day not great but its more than i would have had otherwise.

Doni
    Doni Ronquillo
    Need Free Website Graphics
    http://www.freewebtemplates.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early last year I got one of my clients listed there quickly and for free but I haven't been able to get myself or too many other clients listed there, free or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it also depends on the ctegory you want to list in. SitePoint is a webmaster site and Yahoo's webmaster category is very full. I think you'll have a much higher chance of getting listed if your site is in a category that has little listings. I would think...
    -Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macro - True. But then you risk being rejected for having submitted to the wrong catagory. Catch-22!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't pay a dime to Looksmart.

Yahoo though is a different story. Yahoo can generate a ton of traffic.

Unfortunately they aren't very efficient at running a directory.

If you have the money I would pay the $200 to Yahoo though. Make sure everything is order and do it. If not, do the free submissions and maybe, one year, you will get listed.

In the meantime tell all your friends not to use Yahoo. Drop words like dmoz.org and google.com and tell them to use those instead.

Make Yahoo pay for running a shoddy service and do your best to combat its popularity. Because if it loses popularity, it won't be able to send traffic to your site anymore, and if that happens then you won't feel the need to pay them to list your site when you can reach more people through DMOZ for free.

By the way, be sure you're listed in DMOZ.org if you can't be in yahoo.

See Google uses DMOZ, and Yahoo uses Google. So in effect Yahoo uses DMOZ. Funny how that works huh?
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting topic....

As per Yahoo and LookSmart, if you want to be a player on the web you have to be listed in Yahoo. If you are not, it's like not being listed in the Yellow Pages.

Unfortunatly, it's just not a good Directory. I'd still like to find out who all the folks are on the net who are still using Yahoo to do their searches.

As per LookSmart, I'd just advise to save your money. People don't really use LookSmart. They gain their claim to fame by selling their listing to small ISP's and the like such as RoadRunner. But how many of you actually use Road Runner Search!

Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the type of site you are trying to list, it is no good listing a personal page or a low key page on yahoo or something like that as the amount of sites that have (includeing those that are non existant) is enormous. Though if you were createing a site for a company then listing your site with Yahoo and the likes is a good idea, though make sure that you have the domain name set up and other such things before doing this.

Otherwise Dmoz.org is the way to go as it is free and good quality. LONG LIVE DMOZ.ORG (I am in no way affiliated with them)
    WebmasterMattD
    WebmasterMattD.NET

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google is worth the effort too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering paying the $199 to Yahoo for the Business Express Submission, but do they allow "non-commercial" sites to use that service?

For instance, I run a funny pictures site - it's not a company, but I make money off of it via affiliates and such. Would that be an acceptable site to submit?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I must be one of the lucky ones. I just submitted mine like any other search engine and got accepted. And actually they not only got a link to my main page but they also got direct links to each of the review pages in our site.

The Site is http://www.TheChill.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly believe it is. Getting listed the normal way is usually a craps shoot. I'd take the insurance and just register via their business express packages.
    Oski
    Let's Swap Traffic! I put your url in my 5200 user email list, you put my popup on your site!
    http://freecollegestuff.cjb.net

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have to take all those editors and lock them up. I had and am still having terrible problems with my PAID advertisments at Goto.com. The Editor over there constantly changes descriptions in my ads. I just can't believe it, that I'm paying for it, and they have the guts to go and mess around with my ads!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the risk of putting up a link to my own site, this might help. It's a six page tutorial on how to get listed in Yahoo by Robert Woodhead of SelfPromotion.com...

http://spider-food.net/yahoo.html
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I think YAHOO is the biggest "pile of dung" site on the internet. I have never used it for anything other than clicking on links that people had that led to it. I have never used it for searching, I have never tried to get listed with it. I can't understand how the guys that started it made money with such a ****** product.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    creole the fact is most of the traffic I'm getting from Search Engines is from Yahoo! No, that's not my main traffic source but it brings me more than all the other search engines combined.