SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best hosting/maintenance plan for your web clients?

At my former job we would charge our clients $50/mo to host their site, which included basic textual updates and maintenance. Updates that would take more than an hour of work we would bill at our hourly rate. (this rarely happened)

In some cases we would charge $25/mo for the smaller clients.

Although many clients are IT savvy and realize they can find hosting for $10/mo, I feel most people don't mind paying extra for good service. We all know that managing several domains takes some degree of expertise and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Now that I'm on my own, I'm looking for my own hosting plans for clients. Does the above scenario sound reasonable, or can you recommend one that works better?
    Paul Larson
    Creative Arc, Inc. - Minneapolis Web Design
    http://www.creativearc.com
    ArcLog: Resource for running a web business prime beef

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that those rates are very low for a value-add service like hosting.

Basically, I think you can go 2 ways:
    * Facilitate hosting with another company for your client and pass-thru the cost.

* Add value to hosting by providing maintenance or monitoring services

If you are essentially responsible for the uptime and operation of a web site AFTER your contractual obligations have been met - then you are essentially on-call, 24-7 for the proper operation of the site.

This service has a high value, much higher than 50 bucks.

Now, you may be dealing with small clients who may not be able to afford more than 50 dollars. For these clients I always passed them thru to an outsourced hosting provider- they are not worth the time or effort (they have no money).

For a large client, we often build custom maintenance and monitoring contracts which encompass a large variety of services, including hosting, content maintenance, and monitoring. Large companies are more than willing to pay a premium for these services.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. We're strictly a reseller - we didn't use our own resources to host clients.
    Paul Larson
    Creative Arc, Inc. - Minneapolis Web Design
    http://www.creativearc.com
    ArcLog: Resource for running a web business prime beef

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter.

As a reseller, you still provide level 1 and 2 support for the users. You troubleshoot scripts. You deal with content issues.

As far as the client is concerned, YOU are responsible for their site. If the site goes down, do you tell them "I dunno, call the hosting company"?