SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At work we're having a little problem: we have two domains and want to bring the PDC and BDC that forms one domain into our other one.

It seems this isn't possible without reinstalling the servers or using some tools to change the SID eg. <a href='http://www.sysinternals.com/newsid.htm'>NEWSid</a>. Has anyone ever tried this? We can't rebuild the servers in the new domain because there is some software installed on them that we can't reinstall. I'm just curious to know if someone ever tried this and what the result was?

Thx,
    eKo

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I've ever changed the domain of an NT DC is by reinstalling - I don't think there's another particularly reliable way.
    But I guess if you could change the SID of the DCs it might work.
    (Windows 2000 allows changing the machine's DC status/domain without reinstalling using the dcpromo.exe tool)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, reinstalling is indeed the only reliable way as we found out. While I was away for 2 days the network admin tried using NEWSid to change the SID and completely killed the server even after I warned him for it. So it now has to be reinstalled and I have no idea how we will get the software back that was installed on it. But at least it will be in the correct domain now ;-).