SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site makes extenive use of CSS on links and text. However, it looks quite ugly in Netscape because of this 9http://syanet.virtualave.net). The question is, should I scrap CSS in order to make my website better looking to Netscape 4.x users?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed Netscape 6. So on a related qyestion, why does it render all my text one size to large?

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately Netscape 4 isn't very good with CSS (is that an understatement or what?!)..... That said, because of the popularity of IE (about 85-15 in favour of IE now) you shouldn't schmuck CSS. You'd have to either compromise (and let the Netscape users suffer) or do workarounds with other properties.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that there is a way using linked stylesheets to use a different stylesheet depending on the platform. This is mainly used because text appears smaller on a Mac than it does on a PC. Anyway, I believe there is a way using javascript to check what browser the visitor has and use a different style sheet depending what browser it is.

I learned about in one of the tutorials from trainingtools.com or webmonkey.com, but I can't seem to find the link. I'll keep searching for it, but I just thought you should know there is away around your delimma.

Oh, while I was searching I found the following link, although its not the one I was looking for:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...l?tw=authoring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm..Netscape gave me alot of problems..still does, but I realised that with a good code ( do it by hand ), CSS and with a little of javascript, and of cause some tricks, you cna make both work.

I was able to enable support for netscape4, but though it didn't have those paddings etc., it did look decent. Layouts, images, text etc. were alright.

Using CSS is the thing to enable support for the browsers.
    So, yes...have support for both. Its possible. Just spend mroe time on it.

It really depends on individual sites..unfortunately, my site has 60% of it being netscape 4 users....few are upgrading to netscape 6....so support still must be there for netscpae 4.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can make CSS look good on Netscape 4, there are several workarounds for the bugs in netscape,

http://css.nu/pointers/bugs.html might help...

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/ might help with css font size problems...
    You just have to keep trying, there sometimes are many solutions to a problem...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a new stylesheet for Netscape 6 and made the text 8pt rather than 10pt and it still displays the same size, which actually looks like 12pt. Anyone know why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm....That shouldn't be happening. How about hsowing us your code?

Did you specify it correctly?
    font-size: 8pt;
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. i just posted the same link a while ago...

http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/3.html

read the section under "pointless markup"...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offical conclusion: Screw Netscape. I don't want it's users anywhere near my site .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Read that many times now.
    But I've been going round to differnet computers owned by other people..( friends, relatives, school etc. ) and testing my site and see how it looks like in various browsers.

All I hafta say is pt works for me and couldn't be better
    -- Albert Einstein