SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help - refrech content in ilayer from html page

Can someone tell me if and how I can replace the content of an Ilayer with content from an HTML page when a link is clicked?

Please don't suggest Iframes or CSS (unless this is the only way) as I have had to use a script with ILayer so that I can have images for scrolling through the layer rather than the normal scrollbar.

I have had problems within the script when using Anchor Tags to link to content further down the layer and then trying to return to the top of the content within the layer either by scrolling or a back to top link, also when any main link is selected the whole page refreshes which is pointless as all the content for the site is contained within the same layer / area so I just want to be able to refresh the content in the layer instead.

I hope this can be done, but please be aware that I am useless at JS (which is why I downloaded the script in the first place) so please spell things out in simple terms.

If you need to view a relevant page where this is being used, please go to:

http://www.echocd.co.uk/pineology/directory_bedroom.htm

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

ILayer is a netscape only element - and antiquated Netscape 4.x only supports it. For the life of me I don't know why you would be using it - your talking 1996 technology and '96 proprietary technology at that. W3C CSS positioning is a standard that will allow you to do the same thing but with more features and support by all the major browsers currently in use.

Here's a quote form a page that seems to confirm your problem regarding "a name" inside an ILayer - http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/ht.../i/ilayer.htm:
    Netscape 4.x does not correctly hyperlink to a bookmark (A NAME) that is nested inside an ILAYER element from another document. It succeeds in jumping to the document, and it does attempt to jump within the document, but it appears to scroll the document to where the element would be if it had not been re-positioned using the ILAYER (this may be incorrect reasoning, but it definitely does not scroll to the point in the document where the A NAME actually is rendered.) Hyperlinking to a bookmark nested in an ILAYER from within the same document appears to work correctly.

-xDev

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using it because that is the format that came with the script I downloaded from Dynamic Drive when looking for a way to scroll text in a specific area on the screen using images as the scroll buttons (set outside the scrolling area) rather than an actual scrollbar.

The problem I have is that this page was designed by a graphics company and agreed by the client beofre I could have much say in the matter - all I was to do was make the design, layout and functionality work in a web page.

If I can do exactly the same whiclst retaining the scroll buttons using an IFrame or CSS then that would be great but I was under the impression that this isn't possible.

Maybe you could point me in the right direction for how I can do this using a better method.

Thanks