SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone have a tough idea of what percentage of MSIE users have javascript turned on?

has anyone done a survey?

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recent figures from CNet show that overall, approx. 86% of users use IE, and 14% use Netscape.

Of all these users, 90% had JavaScript turned on.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only just started learning Javascript. In my IE settings, under Java VM I've got JIT enabled, and Java Console and Java logging not enabled.

Is this JavaScript, or Java?

I still get confused - I know they are two different things, but so many mags and web sites start by telling you that JS isn't Java, and then go on to talk about Java when they're obviously talking about JS!

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dreuby
    I've only just started learning Javascript. In my IE settings, under Java VM I've got JIT enabled, and Java Console and Java logging not enabled.

Is this JavaScript, or Java?

I still get confused - I know they are two different things, but so many mags and web sites start by telling you that JS isn't Java, and then go on to talk about Java when they're obviously talking about JS!

Thanks in advance!
    The 'Java VM' option is refering to your Java Virtual Machine. It's basically a computer within your browser that runs Java applets. It is JAVA.

When someone mentions JS, they are probably refering to JavaScript which is a scripting language that usually runs on the client-side(browser) and is used for mouseovers and form validations among other things.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - a glimmer of light in the darkness!

So can I turn JavaScript off in my browser, and if so, what affect does that have when web pages include mous-overs, etc? And why would I want turn it off (if I can)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To disable javascript go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level -> Active Scripting and disable it. If you turn it off no javascript will work. You would want to turn it off if you're paranoid and/or think that javascript is a significant security risk (which it definitely is not).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or if you have a super duper slow connection to the internet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java is a compiled applet(mini program) and, like westmich said, Javascript is a client side scripting language.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    To disable javascript go to Tools -&gt; Internet Options -&gt; Security -&gt; Custom Level -&gt; Active Scripting and disable it. If you turn it off no javascript will work. You would want to turn it off if you're paranoid and/or think that javascript is a significant security risk (which it definitely is not).
    I've never checked out those settings - I though that tab referred only to the Microsoft "security rating" system, i.e. how "safe" a site is for general viewing. As no sites seem to be categorized anyway, I haven't bothered to alter the default.

Thanks for all this info - I seem to have dragged this thread off into another topic, sorry about that!