SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shopping cart software with deposit system

    Hi everyone,
    I'm starting an online retailer which will keep no products in stock, but instead order them upon demand. However, what I'd like to do is setup the cart so that upon checkout the customer pays a 10% deposit, and when the item is in stock they pay the balance before dispatch.

    Does anybody know a cart that support this feature? I know it's fairly specialist but thought I'd ask before programming it myself!

    Thanks,

    Regards,

    Ben

  2. #2
    Texan at Heart Corey Bryant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    2,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long until these items are shipped? You can actually do a pre-auth of a CC. And this pre-auth would gaurantee Your Company the money for a certain amount of days. The days vary on issuing bank.

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least several weeks, and I'll definately look into pre-auths (I'm in the UK though, and have never seen it here). For now, I'd like to stick with a script-side solution though, because I'll be offering a range of payment methods.

  4. #4
    Texan at Heart Corey Bryant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    2,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing to consider "legally" you are not supposed to charge a person's CC until the goods are shipped. I know a lot of people do it but if they are never reported, they do get away with it.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    The other thing to consider "legally" you are not supposed to charge a person's CC until the goods are shipped. I know a lot of people do it but if they are never reported, they do get away with it.
    They're paying a deposit, refundable at any time - I'd make it clear that the card will be charged. Do you know if this is actually the law or just in the T&C's of the card issuers?

  6. #6
    Texan at Heart Corey Bryant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    2,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most consumers think that when they enter their CC number - they are going to be charged. I have not seen the exact law but I do think that it is Visa/MasterCard rules. The problem with all their rules/regulations, they are so vaguely written so that idf something happens, they can say that it should not be interpreted that way.

    I would not worry about it as much. You could go & charge the 10% & if you system is set-up so, do a pre-auth for the remainder 90%. This gaurantees payment for a certain amount of time.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •