SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser-safe popup boxes

Hi,

I'm looking for the most browser-safe way to display popup boxes on link mousovers. Javascript seemed liked the best way to go until fairly recently, but with all the popup-blocking software, I'm not so sure anymore.

So, I'm thinking that CSS is my next option, but it isn't as easy as I thought finding cross-browser compatible code for this. I've taken a look at Eric Meyer's code at http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html but it doesn't seems to work in Opera (at least not in v. 6.x which I'm using).

I could've just used the title property, but the texts I need displayed are fairly long, and the text in title properties only appear for a few seconds.

Anyone know of some safe CSS popup code, or perhaps a even better way to do this?

Thanks in advance !
    Sincerely,

Eirik Johansen
    Netmaking AS

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please define what you mean by pop-up...
    you want to open a whole new window?
    consider either nicetitles.js or overlib.js as an option...
    but consider that opera6 and below have tremendously rickety support of js/ecmascript and thus may scupper you. Luckily opera browser also has a high rate of upgrades.

Pure CSS solutions get a bit harder if you want to support older browsers such as IE6 and opera6 but can be fineagled in some ways...
    tell us more exactly what you are looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as it pops up (meaning that it can from nowhere - floating over the web page), I'll be satisfied. It really doesn't matter much whether it's an actual popup (javascript terminology) or not.
    Sincerely,

Eirik Johansen
    Netmaking AS