SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which browser come with built-in pdf support?

Are the days of 'click here to download free adobe acrobat viewer' numbered?

I mean, it seems that most recent browsers and versions come with the adobe acrobat reader plug-in as standard.

My question: what browsers (and versions) display pdf documents immediately without the need to first download the free acrobat reader? Does anyone know of a chart that shows which browsers do and which don't?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to advise a client who believes that making documents available for download from his site in Microsoft Word format is more cross-browser/platform compatible/reliable/friendly than making the same documents available as pdf.

Thanks. :-)
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've yet to see a browser with native PDF support in Windows. Maybe OSX browsers have native support because OSX itself has native PDF support (most default Linux distributions do too), but I believe you still have to download Adobe's plug-in on Windows.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman
    The reason I ask is because I'm trying to advise a client who believes that making documents available for download from his site in Microsoft Word format is more cross-browser/platform compatible/reliable/friendly than making the same documents available as pdf.
    That bit of it's simple - he's totally wrong. I used to have this fight with our clueless middle management all the time. I hope he's not making the assertion that browsers support Word documents "natively"

Advantages of PDF (I'm sure you know these):
    Compatibility - Free readers available for every major platform out there, including PDAs
    Security - can tie down printing, saving, copying content etc. Plus anyone who downloads a Word document can change it! And PDF's don't transmit virii unlike Word documents.
    Reliability - no worries about some user's Word settings altering the appearance of your document (yes it does happen - formatting marks for example). PDFs will display the same first time, every time, on every platform.
    Open file format - improved compatibility with third party search tools.
    Professional appearance - nice antialiased text etc.

As far as "native" support goes, I believe that the new release of OSX has a new PDF reader built in. Given it also comes with Safari there may be a high level of integration between the two. Other than that, I think it's Acrobat Reader all the way....
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    offer both - there are a lot of converters out there which quickly (and usually pretty accuratly) convert between the two formats.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platinum
    offer both - there are a lot of converters out there which quickly (and usually pretty accuratly) convert between the two formats.
    I've never found one that will do accurate PDF --> Word conversions. Most of them use junk like textbox hacks to get the layout right. Do you know of any?
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the ones I have used just use a print to file type setup - I meant accuratly as in layout-wise, not the underlying code... which is probably fine for a couple of page in length document!