SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only seen good things said about them in their addverts.

LOL
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mad-onion
    I have only seen good things said about them in their addverts.

LOL
    Hehe...

Windows 95, 98 and ME are also very good, stable, fast, reliable, play games very fast and ensure you of loads of fun.

Well, that's what MS and the setup says...

/me is Rolling on the Floor Laughing
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had AOL at first back in 1993 for a short while. I got tired of it after a couple of months and went to have no online service at all. In the summer of 1995, I decided to give it another try. I liked it better then and stayed on for the next six months or so. I probably would've stayed longer, but a friend of mine came over and set me up on a regular Internet dialup around December of 1995, and I've never looked back. Once I got the real Internet, AOL didn't seem so neat anymore.

But it did allow me to become comfotable with being online and all that that entails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use AOL...and I hate it.

It was all I knew about back then. I wanted it cause it was the only way I knew to get online. We had it, then got rid of it, then I begged my parents to get it again...

But what really pisses me off now, is that my parents are convinced that AOL IS the internet. All I use aol for is to connect and then use MS Explorer. I NEVER use their channels, and when I do try too, I can NEVER find what I want, its such a HUGE mess.

BUT my parents dont understand that AOL isn't the internet. Besides AOL email is horrible. But now everyone knows my aol address...hmm, it will take a while to tell everyone my knew address and all my familys new address. But it will be worth it. We are switching to DSL soon hopefully.

What makes the MOST pissed off about AOL though is that with other ISP, you click MS Explorer and it automatically connect you to the internet. With AOL you have to wait for the application to load, and if you click MS EXPLOERE it wont automatically sign you on, and it just causes problems, cause it tries to dial, but it cant, you have to use aol's software. SO STUPID!!! AHHHHHHH.

DIE AOL! It is good for beginners...but then again its not, cause it teaches them the wrong things about the internet. They learn in this limited enviroment, and they think that enviroment is the REAL one, but its not. PLUS ITS SO SLOW!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off on prodigy paying about $8 an hour. Then when AOL offered flat rate Internet access, me, and millions more, switched. And thats why AOL is #1. They were the first. They started getting tons of subscribers. And before the other services could do the same AOL had already cornered the market. It was a very good business move.

AOL also now owns Compuserve, ICQ, and Netscape among other things. It markets Compuserve to business users and whatnot. It saved Netscape for backruptcy, then then formed a strategic relationship with SUN to basically combat Microsoft. And then of course they have ICQ. Personally ICQ is too cluttered for me, I prefer AIM.

So, I still use AOL, am I a newbie? I've been online longer than alot of you could ride a bike. I'm not trying to offend any of you but saying everyone who uses AOL is a newbie is just wrong.

And those commercial are right, AOL 6.0 is really nice.

I actually pay an extra $10 a month to use AOL. I don't use their dial-up lines unless I am out of town (yes, another benefit, if you're travelling you can have a local dial-up node anywhere) so my cost is only $10 a month. I have a cable modem. So sign on to AOL. Maybe an ad pops up, maybe not, but I don't really care its only 1. I click no thanks. A window pops up with channels, I close it, and then the main window pops up and the buddy window does. I can see who of my friends are online. I can see any breaking news stories, maybe there is a fun poll or survey I could take. I can go click on a button on my customized toolbar and see how my stocks are doing. Its all built in nicely.

I don't use AOLs browser (which is basically IE) to browse. I agree with you on that, it does suck. But you're wrong if you think AOL forces people to use it. Even if you're dialing up using their lines you can still open up your browser separate from AOL.

So, the alternative? First I gotta tell everyone my new email address. Then I need to use something like Outlook for my email, problem is Outlook is prone to viruses like melissa and the love bug. If I want to see news I can go to cnn.com, if I want to see my stocks... I don't know some stock site. If I want to see my buddies I need to load up AIM. I could do all that and more, or just load up AOL.

So, I like AOL better than the alternative. Its simply easier to use.

And it is very important to all of us. AOL is easy to use, so your grandma can go online, and that computer illiterate teacher you had in middle school can go online, and your crazy Aunt Sue can go online. And the more people who are online the more business is done online, and the more business is done online, the more businesses want websites built, and the more websites that need to be built the more money in our pockets.

So, don't make fun of AOL.

Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, you dont like ICQ, so you use AIM. Either way you are using AOL.