SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much does AOL pay those people who say good things about them?

Ok ok, AOL is number one of the following:
    - No. 1 worst ISP
    - Most subscribers

I haven't heard one single word good about AOL in person or online.

Have you?

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, people USING it seem to like it.

I don't have any major gripes towards AOL - they're doing a service for newbies. People who otherwise would not be using the Internet are getting to talk to relatives and friends from far away, and are buying things online and sending email, thus contributing to the growth of this new medium.

It serves a purpose - I get a little irked, however, when AOL dupes people into thinking that AOL *IS* the Internet, when it's really just for beginners.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I hate how AOL's commercials give the message "you have to have AOL to use the Internet". Sometimes people ask, "Do you have AOL?" and I tell them I don't, they look disapointed, as if I was missing out on a really good thing.

People that use AOL hate it even more than the people who don't use it. That's really bad if you ask me

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I see your point (AOL has its place) but these days, just about every ISP is easy enough for a person without a brain to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate having to convince people to dump AOL since they have their buddy lists. It doesn't seem to matter that you can download the client, they don't care. I haven't been able to convince my cousin to dump AOL, and neither has her brother.

Personally, I needed a way to get on line (set up a neighbor's computer), and installed that to access netzero, heh. AOL has got to be *the* most annoying ISP as far as windows, popups, boxes, advertisements, offers, etc.

I couldn't take it.

Of course he wanted to send email (first thing he asked for), so now he has sent out his AOL address. I'm afraid that I may have accidentally added another AOLian to the planet.

If you have nothing better to do, send him an email welcoming him to the internet (he's a big ol' Harley Davidson biker guy, first time on the net, heh). He'll be freaked out...

littlebearlt@aol*.com (no *, I don't want the poor bastage to get more spam),
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used AOL, but from what I've heard from others, it truly must be a Microsoft-like company, with as difference that it's an ISP:

-It's for newbies, more advanced internet users will hate it most of the time.
    -it offers its own software (browser) and stuff (or forces people to use it, just how you look at it)

Yet again, I've never use AOL's 'services', but this is what I've heard from other people.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AOL was my first ISP and at the time they seemed great. But after a while I quit and moved to one of the regular dialup ISPs and then I realised just how bad AOL had been.
    I would never switch back now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in an AOL-free country

In Belgium AOL has a subscriber base of 0 persons

Most of our providers are of Belgian orgine, there is one french one (Wannadoo), a dutch one (well it was Belgian but it was bought out) (Planet Internet) and than a UK one, being World Online.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CJ

Most of our providers are of Belgian orgine, there is one french one (Wannadoo), a dutch one (well it was Belgian but it was bought out) (Planet Internet) and than a UK one, being World Online.
    Don't you mean 'World Offline', CJ?
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Originally posted by CJ

Don't you mean 'World Offline', CJ?
    They did apretty good job on the BigBrother camera connections. I stay with my Cable connection and I tend not to speak about ISPs I have not used yet.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /me is the biggest AOL despiser on this planet. Period. It's totally for newbies who have their head screwed on backwards. Or it's for grandmothers who have a freaking 1GHz computer which they use to play freaking cards on. Get the freaking point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Justin S
    /me is the biggest AOL despiser on this planet. Period. It's totally for newbies who have their head screwed on backwards. Or it's for grandmothers who have a freaking 1GHz computer which they use to play freaking cards on. Get the freaking point?
    LOL! Solitaire rocks - don't mess with it.

Everyone needs to start somewhere - the web wouldn't be what it is, and wouldn't be this profitable for all of us, if not for the 20 million newbies using AOL.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone needs to start somewhere - the web wouldn't be what it is, and wouldn't be this profitable for all of us, if not for the 20 million newbies using AOL.
    Oh yeah, I totally agree! If it wasn't for AOL I never would have gotten on the Internet when I did. That's probably true for a lot of people. But now, looking back, and looking now, AOL isn't worth $21.95 per month for busy, slow, and ad-filled Internet.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...also, when you think about it, you're really just paying for the "channels" that AOL gives you. The ads they plaster all over most likely pay for the connection. So you're really just paying $21.95 for the content, which can be found a hundreds of other sites for free. I mean, AOL even lets you use a different ISP with them, as long as you pay the $21.95 for the content.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when AOL started, there was only three ways to go about the 'internet' as a home user.
    a) AOL
    b) Compuserve
    c) Premium rate access numbers to dodgy services

Back in those days, they weren't too bad, but now they are bad.
    Every month they send me a CD which has x amount of free online hours (where x can be any number upto infinity ), and I just cant be bothered to change my working configuration when everyone I know who uses AOL doesn't really like it but cant be bothered to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They offer 700 hours within the first month now. Guess what?

February, even on a leap year, only has 696 hours. Even the 31-day months have only 744! So if you use AOL over 22 hours a day for an entire month, you can fit it all in.

Heck, AOL will bump you off long enough to ensure that won't happen.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every month they send me a CD which has x amount of free online hours (where x can be any number upto infinity)
    Yeah, but they're great white elephant gifts!

), and I just cant be bothered to change my working configuration when everyone I know who uses AOL doesn't really like it but cant be bothered to change.
    Many people I know who have AOL say the same thing; they just can't be bothered changing everything, 'cause they already have enough stress in their life.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Justin, I just noticed you are the newest to be promoted the world of "1000 postees"
    btw; we better finish off being nasty to AOL users, because we might upset them... and that would be a shame.

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have AOL version 1.0 in 1994.

I remember being nastily cussed at by Tech Support because I wanted to unsubscribe from the service. I dont think they knew how to unsubscribe people.

America Online, so frustrating to use, no wonder you can't escape!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother used an AOL trial for a month fully intending to cancel after his free time...he called support, and ended up talking to someone who, for lack of a better description, sounded like he was on drugs.

He told me the guy would say things like "Aw, hey man...don't quit AOL is so cool" - or - "Everyone uses AOL, man...it's cool."

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    They offer 700 hours within the first month now. Guess what?

February, even on a leap year, only has 696 hours. Even the 31-day months have only 744! So if you use AOL over 22 hours a day for an entire month, you can fit it all in.

Heck, AOL will bump you off long enough to ensure that won't happen.
    Aww...I was just about to post that! Funny we made the same observation...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I hate and despise AOL (or should I say AOHELL?), I'm actually on it right now! At my grandparents house, they have it and I have no choice. I think I'll survive...

Seriously, I can't stand AOL. Those commercials drive me bonkers everytime I see them. What else can I say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had AOL installed on my computer for about five years now... I know doesn't it sound bad? Well when I first started out on the web it was ok. I did think at one time AOL was the internet. Then one day I saw an ad on AOL to download AOLPress... I composed my first web site using it. Then I acclerated pass that. It was and still is a good starting point. I've chatted with numerous webmasters and local friends. AOL's instant message service has introduced me to many people locally and also has made me globally in contact with many people. Today I still have AOL but I connect using a TCP/IP connection. I know that AOL does have its down falls. From busy signals, to being kicked off numerous times, to lack of customer service. The raw plain internet is better now that I know what I'm doing but first starting off AOL was a good choice. My final word is that AOL is good for those who don't have kids to show them around the net. For people who need images to learn then AOL is a good choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's almost exactly what happened in my case, Soldier.

I used AOL - and one day decided to use their Personal Publisher tool to build a site - I found it inadequate and frustrating (I think the last straw was it refusing to publish my files for something like an entire day)...so then I went out and found Tripod.com.

I stuck my page up there, started to build, and learned slowly from there - but it's definitely how I got my start. I wonder how many other people struck out to discover what the Internet really is because of AOL's shortcomings...