Hey, folks, new to the forum but not to CBE menus. This question is for Mike Foster & anyone else working with CBE or/and X menu stuff from www.cross-browser.com.

I've been working on a redesign of our site at ExperiencePlus for some time now, and long ago chose CBE menu 9 over the other menu technologies out there because of its browser independance. Problem is, as you can see, we have a pretty large site; load-times for the menus and associated scripts are approaching prohibitive. So I'm trying to speed things up.
You can see the results of some simplification here - still about the same speed by my guesstimates.

So, my question is twofold, I guess. First, Mike, do you have any ideas about how long it will take X menu 4 to reach maturity? No pressure ;^) If it were ready now, I'd just drop CBE in favor of X.

Second question: How much performance improvement can I expect from removing unnecessary code (sliding, for example) from the CBE core files? I haven't played with that stuff at all, except to read it now & then when looking for solutions to problems. Does anyone have a similarly large implementation of CBE menu9 that runs faster, so that perhaps they could share their experience?

One final thing: I'm planning to eventually shove all this into a PHP document that will auto-generate chunks of the menu from database queries, especially around the tour & country listings and our "Resource Room." (X menu 4 looks like it would be vastly superior for that purpose, since it's so lean.) I'm interested in hearing from anybody who's tried to do something like this, whether they succeeded or not.